Translating Dennis the Menace

In an old Dennis the Menace comic panel, Dennis is on the sidewalk talking to his friend Tommy, who lies in a heap after being clobbered. A girl who hit him walks off in a huff. Dennis says to Tommy in explanation:
“See? That’s why you should never hit a girl!”
I’ve been wanting to get translations of this line into various languages, knowing that Dennis’ escapades appear in newspapers in all kinds of languages. So, please–provide translations of Dennis’ remark into other languages.

I presume that you mean this Dennis the Menace:

and not this one:

You have presumed correctly. :slight_smile:

Our Dennis could beat up your Dennis.

Arabic:
انظر؟ وهذا هو السبب يجب أن تضغط ابدأ فتاة!
Bulgarian:
Вижте? Ето защо никога не трябва да се удари момиче!
Danish:
Se? Thats hvorfor du bør aldrig ramte en pige!
Dutch:
Zie? Dat is waarom je moet nooit een meisje!
French:
Voir ? C’est pourquoi vous ne devez jamais atteindre une fille !
German:
Sehen? Deshalb sollten Sie nie geschlagen, ein Mädchen!
Greek:
Δείτε; Γι αυτό το λόγο θα πρέπει να χτυπήσει ποτέ ένα κορίτσι!
Hebrew:
רואה? לכן כדאי לא תפגע בחורה!
Italian:
Vedere? Ecco perché non si dovrebbe mai colpire una ragazza!
Klingon:
legh? vaj be’Hom vaj not qlp SoH!
Romanian:
A se vedea? Iată de ce tu ar trebui să atingă niciodată o fată!
Spanish:
¿Ves? Por eso nunca debe alcanzar una chica!
courtesy of http://nicetranslator.com/

Are those actually good translations? Does “Voir?” actually mean “See?” in the sense “Do you understand?”? I really wonder if those literal translations are accurate.

The french translation is all garbage, so I don’t know if you can trust the others.
I would say, maybe, “T’as vu! C’est pour ça qu’on ne frappe pas les filles!” (but it’s not a literal translation)

Those translations blow chunks. Don’t rely on computers for translation, it’s not possible yet.

Esperanto - Vidu? Tial vi devus neniam batis knabino!

Klingon - legh’a’? vaj be’Hom vaj not qlp SoH!

Yeah, my spanish is terrible but I’m pretty sure that alcanzar means to reach or attain. Golpear means to hit.

The German version is garbage. “Sehen” is the infinitive, a boy would hardly “siezen” another boy (it’s a formal way of address among adults, as if a boy would call another boy "Mister [lastname] without irony.) and the comma is wrong.

“Siehst du? Darum sollte man nie ein Mädchen schlagen.” would be much better.

The Dutch version is incomplete.
“Zie je wel? Daarom zou je nooit een meisje meppen.”

I thank Wendell Wagner and BleizDu for their comments. I agree with others that computer translations are a failure.
I used to work with a German who sometimes chided me gently about my American English idioms, including “Oh, I see”; I pointed out to him that German has a similar idiom (einsehen) and he should know better: (“ich sehe nicht ein…”). And I don’t think there’s such a word in Danish as “thats.”

Oh–and, Astro, tio estu knabinon!

Not for Spanish from Spain, I can’t guarantee there isn’t any dialect where it would be valid… the verb they’ve given means “to hit” only where projectiles are involved; in any other context, it means “to reach”.

Translations I can see, although I haven’t tried to verify whether either one was actually used, include:
¿Ves? ¡Por eso es que no se les pega a las chicas!
¿Ves? ¡Por eso no se golpea a las chicas!

The two verbs are equivalent but more or less frequent in different dialects, the phrasing chosen would depend among other things on balloon space.

DTM usually has the caption* printed *below the cartoon, in a font that differs from paper to paper.

I don’t think the comic has ever been translated into Polish, only the 80’s cartoon and the feature film (both times as Dennis Rozrabiaka).

My humble effort:
‘Widzisz? Dlatego nie bije się dziewczyn!’

I’d still like to see the line rendered into Russian, Greek, and Japanese (both Roman characters and regular Japanese script). :slight_smile: Spasibo, Efcharisto, Arigato.

Btw, I’m assuming the girl in question is Gina & not Margaret.

To my rapidly decaying French, that’s something like: “To see? This is why you* should never reach** for a girl.”

*It seems “on” would work better.
**or attain (i.e. reach for your goals).

North Korean:

I AM A VERY DISOBEDIENT BOY AND AM DISRESPECTFUL TO OUR GREAT LEADER KIM JONG-UN, MAY HE REIGN FOR 1000 YEARS