As someone who regularly works closely with translators to produce bilingual publications in English and Spanish, and has on occasion done translation myself, I concur wholeheartedly that an editor who “encourages” his staff to use Babelfish is a complete idiot and has no commitment whatsoever to quality or accuracy. While Babelfish may sometimes give you the general gist of a passage, many of the details are likely to be glaringly wrong, and Babelfish is very likely to cause misunderstanding of key passages.
If you need a translation of a single word, it is far better to look it up in a biliingual dictionary than to allow Babelfish to arbitrarily select one from what may be several different meanings. For anyone with any degree of knowledge of a language, it is likely to be far quicker to simply do a translation directly than to run it through Babelfish and correct the many errors of grammar and meaning.
[QUOTE=Martha]
My full question is - are there any circumstances at all when using an online translator might be justified?
[/QUOTE]
The only circumstance in which I would use Babelfish is if I had absolutely no knowledge of a language at all, and wanted to get a general sense of the subject of a passage.
[QUOTE=Martha]
I’m being offered work with a news service, involving the translation of short articles. The editor actively encourages his staff to use BabelFish. I was horrified and told him as much. I said that some of the content on the site is so bad it looks as if they just run the text through BabelFish, and now I know why. He looked at me as if I was some kind of colossal prude, and urged me to try it, saying that it saves time because it does the typing for you, and that of course you have to go over it and smooth out the errors.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Babelfish English to Spanish]
Me están ofreciendo el trabajo con un servicio de noticias, implicando la traducción de artículos cortos. El redactor anima activamente a su personal que utilice BabelFish. Me horrorizaron y le dije tanto. Dije que es algo del contenido en el sitio así que malo que mira como si él apenas funcione el texto con BabelFish, y ahora sé por qué. Él me miraba como si fuera una cierta clase de prude colosal, e impulsado me para intentarla, decir que ahorra tiempo porque hace mecanografiar para usted, y que por supuesto usted tiene que ir encima él y alisar fuera de los errores.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Babelfish Spanish to English]
The work with a service of the news is offering me, implying the short article translation. The editor animates to his personnel actively who uses BabelFish. They horrified to me and I said so much to him. I said that he is something of the content in the site so bad that he watches as if as soon as the text with BabelFish works, and now I know why. He outside watched as if a certain colossal class to me of prude, and impelled he stops me to try it, to say that he saves time because he makes type for you, and who of course you must go he above and smooth outside the errors.
[/QUOTE]