Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

Soft disagree with you there, @Riemann. Hidden user profile (making it that much harder to look for trends) indicates poss-sock-hi to me. Contentious sock = troll.

Yeah, the hidden profile, along with the user name seem suspicious in the direction of sock to me.

I’ll go with “eenerms/shh1313” sock for 200, Jack.

I wonder if Discourse has an admin setting that can be flipped to prevent private profiles; at least for newbies if not for everyone.

There’s no real value to an honest user I can see to a private profile that simply leaving all the optional information blank doesn’t accomplish just as well.

Would also that we had an admin to flip that switch.

OTOH, whenever I see a private profile, I immediately assume sock, so it’s an easy way for them to mark themselves.

This guy is really something.

Yeah he was mentioned in this thread some time ago, see here.

I knew you guys would be on top of it. I present that new thread as Exhibit 12-B then.

:+1:

To be fair it’s really easy to miss because it was a short discussion but it put him on my radar, otherwise I’d probably have missed it in this thread too.

It only took about 3 paragraphs for that guy to wear out his welcome with me. And I’m usually pretty welcoming.

Maybe he really is the unfortunate victim of a hard life badly lived from birth. Not my circus not my monkeys this time.

Might be trolling. More likely that he just has “issues”, to sum up what appears to be a rather complicated situation. Either way, I’m not sure we can help him much beyond a pat on the back and a “there, there”.

When a poster suddenly pops up on my radar as an obnoxious dick for no good reason, it often sets the troll bells ringing. When they start making ATMB threads “defending” themselves (for want of a better word) the bells ring louder.

When I look up their profile and see a 5-month posting hiatus, they also start to smell like a sock drawer.

Maybe Roger just needs a good rogering.

:wink:

To be fair, in the “adults throwing away their kids’ possessions” thread (not the literal title) it was Saintly_Loser who was the dick for no good reason, who persisted in re-interpreting the OP and arguing against something completely different from what the OP was about. It was too bad the OP couldn’t let that go and just proceed, but as a new poster it may be something they haven’t learned yet.

Edited to add: I guess Saint_Cad got involved in some way too, I dropped out of the thread before then because it was clearly a train wreck.

I like to see a nice piece of profiling. Sweet.

Here’s another: cannonkuo - been here 13 hours, 8 mins read time, 8 posts read, three new threads and two posts (in one of those threads).

Two of the threads are in P&E, just to make it easier to check them out. I’m not going to @ the cannon - they’ll be over here soon enough.

j

I think those two OPs look like homework questions.

Three history homeworks for the weekend? Sheesh - who’d be a kid nowadays?

:wink:

j

How about if I have a cousin I’m fond of who is named Karen?

Also, this is an interesting thread. I should probably peruse it more often.

Sorry, no.

Saintly_Loser replied to the OP first but wasn’t a dick to them personally, IMO, just brusque.

To which Roger_That came back with “Sure glad I never had you for a parent, I will tell you that.” That’s not “couldn’t let it go”, that’s just being a jerk.

Huh, if I am not mistaken this is the first time that a serial socker (x2) has been explicitly identified by the mods, as well as the original account: