Trolls R Us Resurrections

For those who don’t know the real history, Shodan was banned after a pattern of problems.

The original announcement of his banning is of little help, because the only thing in the announcement are two broken links. But I will give some links to the ATMB discussions anyway.

In 2019, Shodan was suspended for having 4 warnings in under a year.

The following year he was warned yet again after the suspension, and that led to his banning.

Yes, the final warning regarded using a misogynistic term that many considered to be somewhat mild (although even “mild” misogyny is gross), but that was only the very last thing. The suspension followed a long and repeated series of problems, and I saw it as the last chance for Shodan. He took that chance and just kept going, to show that he was not going to improve. I’ll also note that Shodan had multiple warnings for trolling. That’s a shitload of rope he was given.

Octo’s version of the Big Lie is that Shodan was a perfectly well-behaved contributor to this community, but since he was a conservative he was being persecuted. The moderators were looking for any excuse to ban him, and when he made one comment out of line, he was gone. That is a complete fabrication, and after a couple of years he is still beating that drum. It’s both tedious and sad.

There was an extensive discussion afterward, with nuance that Octo’s story is missing, if you want even more information and the way the community felt about the situation.

(I will also say that @MrDibble already posted that link above, but it might not have been clear that this was what he was linking to.)