Trying to recall the name of an author

I remember being a fan of a humor writer from the 60s and early 70s that had a wonderfully sarcastic series of books about his life. The guy was either American or Canadian, had a Japanese wife, and at least one kid.

The clash of cultures between the spouses had no end in comic effect. The son would often blurt out stuff inappropriate for his age, calling someone a MFer at he tender age of five, for example.

The book that stands out in my mind was one centered around them buying and attempting to operate a fishing lodge in the Canadian wilderness, but that was one of several.

I think the guy’s last name was Abel, but he was not the hoaxster of the same last name. Don’t quote me on the last name part. I’m a little more sure that the wife’s first name was Reiko.

Does anyone have an idea of whom I’m looking for? I’d love to find those books again…

Was it Jack Douglas?

I’ve never read his stuff, but The Jewish-Japanese Sex and Cook Book and How to Raise Wolves has to be one of the best titles of all time, and sounds as if it has a fighting chance of being by the guy you’re looking for

It could be, but the link didn’t have any plot summaries. I’ll see what my Google-Fu turns up.

Bingo. Shut Up and Eat Your Snowshoes is one title I remember.