Tuesday Morning Music Post: Country! Well, off-beat or one-offs

In honor of the passing of Kitty Wells, country music’s first female superstar, I figure we can pass around a bit of the old home music called ‘country’.

While I don’t actively seek it out as an adult, I was raised on it, and even now find songs accidentally that I laugh at or quite enjoy.

Brad Paisley’s stuff has quite a bit of humour in it, and since I’m a geek, my offering for today is his awesomely funny video

(I’m so much cooler) Online

Trust me…don’t care if you HATE country music, if you’re reading this right now you are tech savvy enough to appreciate the video and the song. It’s even worth the stupid ads! :smiley: It’s pretty awesome. Oh yeah, you’ll also like it if you like Brady Bunch, Seinfeld, Star Trek, or have ever chatted online. Like…ever. Like…now. :wink:

Ok, bring out your country, whether it’s something you love, appreciate or are ashamed to admit to. :slight_smile:

Moving from MPSIMS to Cafe Society.

Whoops…sorry, and Thanks!

For me, this is a bit like being asked for “blues”… where do I start?

Here’s Dwight Yoakam’s video (complete with Harry Dean Stanton!) for “Sorry You Asked?”. I think what I like best about this song is how it fades out on the last verse… like the protagonist is going to drone on for the next half hour about this, and the listener is just tuning out.

Gram Parson’s “Return of the Grievous Angel” with some footage from a documentary.

Great clip from Brad Paisely in the OP. Good stuff, what you might call “modern” country.

Since you mention Kitty Wells, how about a clip of one of her hits, “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.” But before that, have a listen to the song she was singing in answer to, Hank Thompson’s "Wild Side of Life. A fascinating back and forth, and what you’d definitely call “classic” country! We’ll separate the “real” country music fans from the rest! :slight_smile: *

Wild Side of Life
It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

*Joking. Just joking.

I hear ya about the ‘real country’; even by the time I was exposed to it, the 70’s and thereabouts, it was crossing the line over to other genres. But that’s what I like! Hell, I remember when the cowboys were the ones with long hair and smoked pot. :smiley:

And I love the videos posted; I know my dad has gotta love the Dwight Yoakum one. He’s very old school, goes out to any kind of bar in full dress, bolo tie and hat, and gets ladies of every age and pursuasion asking about the ‘real gentleman’ over in the corner. He has to keep track of his ladies in a little book, and he’s 74! And he dances a lot better than I can ever keep up with, lol.

I see that Kitty Wells also did a song called “Will Your Lawyer Talk To God For You?”. Sounds like she had some attitude.:slight_smile:

Not being a country fan, I don’t know many songs and bands, but occasionally I hear a line or two that stands out and sticks with me…

*"Guitars and Cadillacs, hillbilly music,
Only things that keep me hangin’ on.’

“Long-necked bottle, let go of my hand.”*

Slim Cessna’s Auto Club. Can’t do a link now, but just do a YouTube search; you’ll be glad you did.

Oh, we got both kindsa music here. Country AND western!