Two Threads in two days locked due to the Dio Show

:: nominates the lone cashew for moderator ::

EXACTLY.

As the lone cashew says, he is entitled to his opinion. He is entitled to defend that opinion the same as other people who think their opinion is fact. Why not?

Nobody has to engage him. Did every one of those posters have a gun to their heads? If nobody responds to his posts, he eventually goes away. It really isn’t that hard to do. You just DON’T post. That’s even easier than posting.

Almost everyone who had engaged him in those threads certainly has been around long enough to know his posting habits. They are just as much to blame as he is. The only thing weighing on their side is that there are more of “them” than there is of him.

Start pitting the posters that can’t ignore him.

The same thing can be said about trolls and jerks yet those get taken care of without expecting the masses to “be silent and put up with it”. At least the trolls and (new) jerks have the excuse of not knowing better here or not caring. What’s Dio’s excuse besides he absolutely can’t control himself? And how come the majority of people I see defending Dio are posters who’s names I don’t even remotely recognize?

Once again, yes, he’s entitled to his opinion. He is not, however, entitled to act like an ass when expressing that opinion.

And I don’t think he should be banned, but yeah, maybe suspended if he keeps it up.

(“But it’s just my opinion! How dare you!!!” Like other people don’t have opinions as well. Just because it’s your opinion doesn’t mean other people can’t comment on it.)

Dio said he never calls people names because they disagree with him, in a Packers thread he said

ETA, the comment about “it would have been nice to see the game played on the level” was in reference to Dio being sure that every single call in favor of the Packers was wrong. He disagreed with virtually every call (in favor of the Packers) and disagreed with all the posters defending the refs.

Have y’all considered not responding with “It’s the Dio Show! it’s the Dio Show! It’s the Dio Show!” when he posts, which can be just as annoying as whatever he posts?

Dio does not have opinions. He has THE FACTS, which are incontrovertible because he has stated them. They are not subject to revision because he is the sole arbiter of what is true. He does not have to provide cites, and any cites provided by others do not need to be considered because if the differ from THE FACTS they are by definition wrong.

No, I personally never considered such a thing :rolleyes:

Least I know what the moderators will be busy emailing each other about tonight and tommorrow trying to get their story straight and figuring out how to put out this latest fire that cannot happen. Enjoy your weekend.

No he doesn’t. You’re wrong.

No, I’m not.

channeling Dio, for the humor-impaired among you

I am NOT a happy camper right now - I was interested in the thread I started and the discussion going on, and having it closed because **Dio ** can’t control himself and the moderators refuse to suspend him until he can play nice with others is…not cool.

Number One rule is don’t be jerk. Dio is a jerk, more often than not. Jerkhood is a bannable offense. Because he doesn’t use bad language, he is the message board equivalent of the kid who hovers his finger an inch away from you and taunts, “I’m not touching you.” I would cheer if the Dio show was cancelled from this network because it stopped being entertaining years ago.

Suspend him when he goes off on his “I’m right with these outrageous opinions and everyone else is wrong” kick. If he does it enough, ban him. It’s not everyone else who has a problem, it’s him. I truly don’t understand why the moderators don’t see this.

You haven’t seen the goatse pics I take it.

Dio’s no more a jerk than everyone who incessantly argues. This should apply to all/any posters - concerning the point in a discussion where it becomes obvious the other person is not going to budge, and the same facts are now being rehashed over and over. For crying out loud, let it drop at that point. Anyone who continues to argue is in denial that they enjoy arguing. :wink:

Nothing wrong with enjoying a little bit of arguing. But don’t blame the one you’re arguing with of refusing to let it drop - when you’re doing the same thing. This should be easy. And Diogenes has added and continues to add a lot of interesting stuff to this board and should be considered a valued member. To see all this talk of banning and/or suspending is sad.

Oh BS.

I’ve recently been involved with a bunch of what I’d consider really ignorant people who will not let it drop when it comes to all this nuclear power/accident/disaster/Japan thing threads. And keep in mind I actually know something about this shit. It’s like playing whackamole.

Those posters have nothing going on compared to Dio style thread derailing. And you certainly don’t see me or most other posters who think the anti-nuke folks are ignorant as all get out calling for those poster to be warned or suspended or banned.

You guys act like Dio is some lone rational voice in the woods thats just a minority. You know who’s a minority around here? Conservatives like Sam Stone. He is definitely paddling upstream around here. But, you know what? He has his shit together. He doesnt derail threads over and over with crap that basically amounts to “I’m right!!!” posts posted a couple dozen times over. He has actual cites. He responds with some semblance of logic. He rarely and barely IMO plays the shifting of goals/definitions game.

I don’t argue with Dio. Dio is not pitted more than anyone else because he “incessantly argues.” Even when I agree with him, which is more often than not, I sometimes feel like pitting him because his style of arguing is jerkish.

Hey Billfish, I agree that Dio stands out as one who argues on and on, also stubborn about changing his opinion, even when sometimes presented with evidence. (but, so what? really.)
All I am saying is, it would be all too easy to simply discontinue arguing with him (or anyone) when discussion is becoming repetitive. As a poster he has a lot positive to offer overall. Excessive stubbornness and incessant arguing might be a fault of his - but it’s just as much the fault of everyone who else participates. And with that I am done. The real “Dio show” is people who seem to thrive on this kind of drama, and post threads like this one.

And the same goes for trolls and jerks and socks. If EVERYONE would just ignore them everything would be fine. But that just doesnt frickin work. And its obvious that it doesnt and can’t because those are banned post haste around here.

I complained about the latest two threads that were locked. IIRC I didn’t even POST to one of those two. But I was pissed that it was locked rather than (yet once again) Dio warned to let it go and let the other adults have a conversation. So, rasberries to you on the “drama” angle as far as I am concerned. I almost raised a stink about the first one being locked. The second one did it.

And as for the “positive” contribution business, there are a couple of indispensible experts in their fields around here, yet you don’t see THEM kickin people in the balls here arguementatively speaking, even though they have WAY more right than Dio does. AFAIC tell, about all Dio brings to the table is a bunch of biblical/religous history stuff, which here on the athiest SDMB is considered IMO to still be mostely baloney. And for that matter, his posts seem to have more value for being posted soonest rather than having content that couldn’t possibly be contributed by someone else within a reasonable time frame.

If I’m the only resident expert in reticulated framuses can I be a total jerk?

No.

In fact, from now on, it shall be in bold and large type.

As annoying, pointless posts seem to be ok. Y’all.