Catch-All Dio Pitting

All quotes are from this thread unless otherwise stated.

I have decided to take Lute Skywatcher up on that. If someone says, even half-jokingly, that a poster should have a sticky pit thread, that poster might be a problem. Also, the fact that Dio has been pitted more than any other poster, by different posters, might be indicative of something.

That will never happen because…

What are we supposed to do as posters? We are told to put Dio on our ignore lists, not engage him. That puts the onus on everybody else, instead of the one being the jerk. Also doesn’t work.

If you have any sightings of the Dio Show put it here. If we have enough examples gathered in one place, maybe something will change or be done about it.

I enjoy/hate the Dio Show as much as anyone, but this is not helping.

He’s got you right where he wants you! I love it! I hate it! Gah!
:smiley:

I think the mods should grow a set of balls and deal with the fucking troll. Dust off that pretty “Dont be a jerk” rule and stop modding scared.

Yep, never happen.

So I for one am just going to post the same way Dickless does. Sure why not, the mods wont do anything about it.

I’ve defended him in the past (and ignored the shit out of him, as we keep on endlessly being told to do), but I’m getting tired of his borderline-trolling garbage.

Invisible Chimp.

Let me pass onto you this sorta sharp stick so you can take your turn at charging windmills. It was only used by an 8th grader from Pasadena on weekends so its cherry.

Good luck young grasshopper.

Is this a sort of “stupid **Dio **idea of the day” thread? :slight_smile:

For the record, I would not want to see **DtC **banned. I disagree with him a lot, dislike his posting style, and have had my share of being sucked into “the **Dio **show”. But I don’t think he’s a troll or a jerk.

Having said that, it might be useful to have a thread like this to link to once the rat hole ensues and you want to exit without giving the impression to others that you have conceded.

I caught him prancing around in my backyard this past weekend.

I’ve set traps, so we’ll see if that does anything.

Situations like this make me miss the old days when policy discussions could take place in the Pit. Because the fact that Diogenes is being an annoying fucktard is highly relevant to posters’ desire for a change in moderation policy, yet I can’t really argue with the claim that it’s unfair to have an ATMB thread about what an annoying fucktard Dio is.

Hopefully the fact that the mods don’t want/need any more poster input on the topic means they have a solution they think will actually keep him from ruining threads.

::tries to look optimistic::

The answer is simple, but our mods won’t do it.

When he posts 19 times in 50 posts like the one thread, and every goddamned one of them is the same stupid assertion, then he should receive an official Mod Warning. Hopefully long before he gets into double digits.

No one else gets this kind of a pass on that shit.

That said, for Dio: You keep repeating that you are “defending yourself”. Defending yourself does not consist of being disrespectful and dismissive of others while mindlessly repeating the same non-factual opinion over and over as if you are 100% correct and everyone else is a moron. This is called Being A Jerk. This is a path to being received as “Oh FUCK, it’s that asshole who thinks he’s right about everything and tries to shout everyone down.” Which is really what you are attempting to do - dominate and control the discourse by disrespectfully dismissing and drowning out everyone else.

If you do not think that I am correct on that, then perhaps you should be asking yourself why so many people on this board feel exactly that way about you. Or more importantly, why you think it is so absolutely necessary to machine gun post when you feel you are “defending yourself”.

I’ve never had a real run-in with Dio, so I guess I shouldn’t talk, but I’m always amazed at the complete lack of self-control some posters (including, sadly, me on random days) have. If one thinks a poster should be ignored, one could, you know, simply ignore them. The whole ignore list thing, in my view, says more about the person doing the computer-assisted ignoring than the person so ignored.

With that said, I’ve seen plenty of examples by Dio of how infuriatingly obstinate he can be, so I can sympathize to some extent with those who blow their stacks. But only so much.

Part of the problem seems to be that Dio regards every disagreement as a challenge to his manhood or something.

Meant what I said in the ATMB thread. He should take a break from the boards for six months, maybe a year. And maybe not be such a horse’s ass when he returns.

I’d like to make a catch all suggestion in the catch all thread. Just don’t respond to him. He’ll show up, he’ll antagonize, he’ll take your posts out of context, he’ll lie about things he’s said in the past to get you to argue with him…just ignore it and continue on with whatever you were talking about. I suggest you do that in all threads that he attempts to derail. As most others have said, he can be perfectly pleasant in some threads. I’ve had normal conversations with him in CS for example. But other then that, just ignore him and he’ll go away.

He’s going to show up here, he’s going to quote you…or parts of your post, he’s going to ignore other posts you’ve made to take things out of context and make you really really really want to clarify something you said, but remember, it’s all a ruse. Just ignore it. You don’t have to clarify anything, he’s not confused, he knows what he’s doing. You all know by now that even if you do clarify what you said, he’ll come back 60 posts later and ask the same damn question as if it hadn’t been answered twice already.

Some of us use the ignore feature not because we cannot resist replying to a poster, but because we don’t want to get unnecessarily pissed off.

I think the guy disagrees reflexively to sharpen his debate skills. The more ridiculous the position he picks the more he improves…like putting more weights on the bench.

Its the people pitting Dio that take disagreements far too seriously.

This is the fucking Internet people, who cares.

I second exactly what Joey P just said. That is the perfect description and advice.

Lying, not reading cited info, making up details and saying “no I’m not” or “I never said that” after you were quoted as saying something are not debate skills. Are you sure you were reading the same threads?

Yes they are.

Fine.

I’m sure it’ll take one more Pit thread and he’ll change his ways. Just one more.

Just look at everything you just listed, how is that not just being a bloody troll? Here, I 'll bold it for you.

And the answer from you and the mods is…just ignore him?

Is this going to apply to all trolls? Can we get a sticky?