UK dopers: Why no gas in new houses?

All new houses (built 1-2 years ago) in Cardiff and Cardiff Bay are heated with electricity(I know that because I was looking for a house recently). Only older houses have gas installations. Why is that? Is it for safety reasons?

I am asking because they are installing a gas pipe grid back in Greece. Should I have my house connected to the grid? I am worrying because the Greek government is famous for building unsafe and low-quality things. I don’t want my house set in orbit :wink:

It’s probably just for cost. IIRC, gas appliances cost a little more than their electric counterparts, and by going with electric the builders don’t have to hire a plumber to lay gas lines. The electrician just has to run a few more circuits.

I know nothing about UK codes, but I think that US codes require that gas lines inside slab foundations must be jacketed inside another pipe and no lines can touch electric circuits. Beyond that, a gas line is fairly easy to run and is relatively safe. Personally, I’d rather have gas; it’s cheaper here and I like it for cooking.

[QUOTE=cornflakes]
It’s probably just for cost. IIRC, gas appliances cost a little more than their electric counterparts, and by going with electric the builders don’t have to hire a plumber to lay gas lines. The electrician just has to run a few more circuits.

[QUOTE]

That makes sense. All the houses I looked were fully equipped. I didn’t want to buy my own furniture, appliances etc.

I think this probably has more to do with a ready available supply of gas. When a builder puts up new housing if the nearest gas mains is a long way off, or perhaps the bearest gas mains just does not have any more gas carrying capacity, then it may be more economic to use electricity rather than have to pay for new pipelines.

AFAIK there is no rule about not installing gas, houses are being built near to me and they have gas.

Gas heating actually makes a house a more attractive purchase, since gas heating works out less than electric.

My first house was part of a new estate. The central heating was oil fired and it was supplied from a central tank on the estate. At the time oil was relatively cheap compared to gas/electric. The main reason though- we found out much later- was that a deal had been struck between the builders and an oil supplying company. It meant they had a captive market for their oil. When oil prices rose sharply we managed to get gas supplied by paying a fee. If you had just looked at one estate it could be for a similiar reason to mine eg they’ve gone for the cheapest option. If you looked in separate areas of Cardiff and found the same then I can’t help.
I don’t believe it’s a safety issue though.

V