Um, about that line, Subaru

I think you’re misinterpreting the daughter’s reaction. The mother isn’t speaking out loud. The voiceover is what she’s thinking. She then looks over at her daughter and is amazed at how much she’s grown. The daughter, who doesn’t hear any of this, says “What?” as in “What’s the matter? Why are you staring at me? Is there something stuck in my teeth?”

I also dont get it. Explain OP.

This is how I see it, also. It did take me paying attention (I usually dont pay attention to ads) to get it.

Then what’s the “what?” for?

OK. (I didn’t watch it.) But that makes it just seem extraneous.

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

I much prefer their dog-themed ads.

This.

How is the “What” relevant to the “she had sex in the backseat of the car” theory? Sounds like daughter was just confused.

The mother is reminiscing about how much her daughter has grown up, she looks at her child wistfully. The daughter, noticing the look on the mom’s face says “what?” oblivious to her mother’s thoughts about how much she has changed. The losing her virginity interpretation is a real stretch.

I have never in my life heard “grew up” = “lose virginity” until I read this thread, and now I’m worried about what other incredibly mundane phrases people might get their jollies from.

I think that if the script had read just “My daughter grew up in this Subaru” nobody would be making the nudge-nudge-wink-wink connection. It’s the words “back seat” that to some bring up a very common American teenage sex trope. As it is, when I first encountered the ad on the air it took me two beats to go :smack: and realize what it was that was supposed to be “off” about it.

OTOH the Chrysler Concorde ad, where part of the punchline is the voiceover about spacious back seats, was utterly brazen and I applaud the gumption of everyone involved in creating and broadcasting it. It was later edited to a "safer’ version that still teases the implicit image of parental automotive sex but steers away from it.

I agree with this interpretation. But the part of the commercial I don’t buy is when the daughter opens the door to go to school for the first time. I don’t think parents just drop their child off at the curb when on the very first day of school (five years old? six years old?).

You’re right, I had to ride my bike my first day. :smiley:

To be fair, I’m the seventh of eight kids and the school had had an orientation day so I already knew where my classroom was, bike racks and so on.

I was thinking of my niece, who was very shy and cried for the first day and a half of kindergarten. This is while her mother stayed with her.

But there’s no reason for “daughter was just confused” to be in there. No reason for the “grew up in the back seat” to be voiced, either, if there’s no implication. Just the visual sequence carries that already.

Big-name commercials are heavily conceptualized, directed, produced, edited. As a rule, every shot and every sound is there for a reason.

The ad was obviously intended to be perfectly innocent, but every time I hear it I think “Look lady, I don’t need to hear about where your daughter lost her virginity.”

This, plus the phrasing of the line in the ad is actually slightly different than that in the OP. The part about the backseat is at the beginning of the sentence. Had the sentence started with “She grew up in…” then that probably wouldn’t make me go “TMI!” as much, as the expected ending to such a sentence would be the name of a place. But opening with “The backseat of my Subaru is where she…” seems to be leading towards an ending where the daughter engaged in some sort of activity in the backseat.

I think this specific phrasing (for some of us, at least) provokes a brief, almost unconscious “Your teenage daughter did WHAT in the backseat?” reaction. If the sentence had ended with “told me about her dreams” or something then I’d probably forget this fleeting reaction before the ad was over. But the actual ending of the sentence, “she grew up”, doesn’t help much as it strikes me as uncomfortably close to “she became a woman” (a well-known euphemism for a young woman losing her virginity).

Yeah, Hubby and I cracked up about that from the first time we saw that commercial. Glad I’m not the only one with a dirty mind.

The daughter’s reaction and the mother’s statements are both to frame the commercial as something other than a commercial. The mother is reliving the daughter’s childhood through the car. The daughter thinks he mother is weird for staring at her while reminiscing. We’re supposed to think that we’re not in a commercial, we’re sharing part of their lives. It’s also a way to insert some humor, since the daughter doesn’t understand what the mother is thinking, but someday she’ll be a mother herself and will do the same.

For me it works (if by works, I’m allowed to mean “I see a manipulative emotional/sentimental ploy that ties parenthood to automobile purchases”). I don’t see anything dirty or sexual implied at all.

I agree.

There was a recent ad campaign for Fanta soda. The campaign used a line about bringing back the “good old times”.

Not a good idea given Fanta’s history.

My mom put me on the school bus.