Um, about that line, Subaru

I thought both the Suburu and the Folgers commercial were sweet. Nothing more.

Little Nemo, care to explain your post about Fanta? Am I missing something? What does Fanta’s history have to do with anything? Wiki says Coca Cola effectively created a company (Fanta) that was cutoff from Coke’s headquarters because of a trade embargo, thus allowing them to continue to bottle and sell cola until after the war. The only controversy over the “good old times” ad was the people that chose to believe it was saying that Nazi Germany was the “Good Old Days” which is, of course, ludicrous.

The hell it does. It implies that the mother drove that car for the entirety of her baby, toddler, and pre-teen years, when the daughter would have been restricted to the back seat. The lost-her-virginity-there interpretation is prurient, adolescent, sex-obesssed, stupid, and offensive.

So … pretty much “the internet” then.

As you note, Fanta was created by Germany in the 1940s when Coca Cola pulled out of Nazi Germany. After the war, Coca Cola re-aquired its German factories and Fanta. Recently, Fanta ran an ad waxing nostalgic about its origins. John Oliver just skewered the ad: - YouTube

So you never got laid in the back seat of a car then?

What are you, 12?

The commercial is about a mother reminiscing about her teenage daughter’s childhood and is meant that highlight the longevity and reliability of Subarus. The idea that the mother is nostalgically thinking about her daughter’s cherry getting popped is as ill-thought as phlogiston theory and as crass as FAMILY GUY.

Offensive? Really? Prurient, adolescent, and sex-obsessed, sure, but you’re actually offended by people reading sex into that line?

I heartily condone & completely agree with this post.

So that’s a no.

The question is idiotic.

Phrasing!

Why is there so much pearl-clutching in this thread? I had the same reaction at “growing up in the back seat”, snickered, moved on. What’s the big deal? Good grief.

As Cecil put it so many decades ago, the search for off-color significance “seems to give many of the Teeming Millions their principal reason to go on living.”

I think a valuable statistical correlation could be drawn between “who interpreted the ‘grow up in the back set’ as a reference to back-seat sex” and “who lost their virginity in the back seat”.

It probably deserves research.

The idea with this set of Subaru commercials is that the car will still be operable when the kid is ready to drive and inherit it. She’d have to be driving herself to Makeout Point at night in order to get laid in the back. She seems almost at the age where she’d have a license, but her mom is still driving her around. It didn’t occur to me that she be out on her own messing around in the back.

I do hate the “Love” crap though.

So what’s your explanation for why it’s there?

Also, are you implying that the “What?” and “grew up in the backseat” were meant to be there b/c the company wants to convey the lost her virginity message? That doesn’t make sense, either. Why would the mom be so happy about her teen daughter losing her virginity in the back seat of the family car?

I have one of the dirtiest minds going, and can find the sexual context in just about anything. I never even entered my mind that the mom might be talking about her daughter having sex in the backseat.

I like the teenager in the commercial. Such a typical teenager attitude. “What?”

Like this one?

Me too!

So you’re saying we shouldn’t blame the mother for the daughter ‘becoming a woman’ in the back seat, because she was restriciting her there for her own good? Trying to throw it back on society is interesting, but I think it might be a little reductionist.