Uncle Tetsu's Cheesecake

My Japanese husband brought one of these home today, from a fairly newly-opened shop in the food court of Serramonte Center in Daly City. There are six such shops only in California, so you have to live in or visit here to indulge in this culinary delight, and so sorry for those of you in the rest of the country.

The above is my best effort at irony. This item bears as much resemblance to any cheesecake I have ever had (from my mother’s no-bake with a graham cracker crust, to the best New York style baked cheesecake) as I do to an Olympic gymnast, which is none (I can barely be recognized as the same species). The texture is similar to a rather dry chiffon cake. It tastes neither of cream cheese nor sour cream nor chocolate (it’s alleged variety among the choices at this emporium of blah). It is very slightly sweet, such as if you added a teaspoon of sugar to a pound of sawdust. It is bland and uninviting, and a mystery to me how they have expanded to six shops in the state.

This goes on the list of other Japanese cakes that I have tried that were a complete disappointment, like the beautifully decorated Christmas Cake that looks scrumptious and tastes of nothing. A handy hint for those new to Japanese bakeries: stick to the bread-based pastries, those are usually delicious, and stay away from cakes.

Toronto suffered through Uncle Tetsu’s Cheesecake mania in 2015 with people lining up around the block to get one.

The texture is interesting, but I agree the taste is kind of bland (or “delicate” if I wanted to phrase it diplomatically).