Unexplained bruises

My girlfriend has several unexplained bruises on her legs, and she absolutely refuses to go to the doctor about this (or anything else, for that matter). I’m trying to get her to go and see someone about it, but am not having much success so far. Does anyone know what could possibly cause this? Is this cause for huge alarm? She does seem to bruise easily, but can’t remember any events that would cause about 15 bruises (one or two very dark and purple). How serious is this? Can blood vessels just burst with no apparent cause?

This cannot be evaluated over the Internet.

Causes of bruises range from trauma, including abuse, to mild bleeding diatheses (abnormal clotting), to leukemia or some other godawful underlying condition that is an inch away from death.

Unexplained bruises are never good - get her to the hospital no matter what you can do because, as Chief Pedant said, those bruises could be signs of a serious, life-threatening illness.

As a cynic, I would also consider the possibility that she has an explanation for them that she’s unwilling to divulge.

What about sleep? I have scratches from time to time I can’t explain. I remember taking a shower, getting into bed, the next afternoon I looked at my back and there was a huge scratch and blood on my undershirt.

Somehow, I’m guessing I scratched my back in the night.

So also check the sleep, it’s possible she’s hitting herself while she sleeps or something like that.

Is she just clumsy? I always have a bruise or two on me that I never remember getting. It’s been that way since I was little. I just bruise easily.

[quote=“Markxxx, post:5, topic:502219”]

What about sleep? I have scratches from time to time I can’t explain. I remember taking a shower, getting into bed, the next afternoon I looked at my back and there was a huge scratch and blood on my undershirt.
QUOTE]

Succubus, definitely.

As for the bruises, really, medical help is called for. Even the simpler explanations can become serious if left unaddressed.

If she’s open to logic these may help:

8 causes of leg bruising

This is what came to mind second. First was abusive ghosts.

I have always banged myself up on stuff like the corners of coffee table, car bumpers, the edge of the bed … I always seem to have had at least 3 or 4 bruises that I had no memory of getting. I did figure out how I managed to always have bruises on the front of my legs - I had this habit of resting my bent leg on a kitchen chair, and the edge was pressing it enough to cause the bruise when I leaned forward when I was chopping something particularly hard like a winter squash or full sized rutabaga.

Unexplained bruises were the first sign that Carl Sagan noticed of the illness that killed him.

Or she may just be clumsy and bruise easily. If it’s clumsiness, she would probably usually have about the same number of bruises, and probably in consistent places. If the number or location of the bruises has changed recently, that’s when to start worrying.

Or they could be mosquito bites. One summer when I was a teenager I went to visit my aunt and uncle at their lake house in Wisconsin. I got a ton of mosquito bites, especially on my legs (because I wore shorts), and the mosquito bites swelled up and turned black and blue. Some of the black and blue marks were easily the size of a 50-cent piece. I looked like I had huge bruises all over my legs and was afraid that Child Protective Services or the local battered women’s shelter was going to try to rescue me if I went out in public. I’ve never had that happen with mosquito bites before or since, but I guess they have bigger or different mosquitoes at that lake than I’m used to.