We’ve had a lot of talk about the Pit and it’s place on the board recently, and even though I’m in the moderate pro-Pit group, I do agree that spending time there can make us only focus on the negative aspects of our fellow posters. Which is fine - but I have never seen a corresponding Positive Reinforcement Thread, so I’m making one!
A couple of ground rules that I’m asking everyone to abide by.
- Please make sure to tag the poster (@) or the post (link) so that they actually get to see something nice about themselves. Also, this is about a poster, or how a poster’s post made you feel good - So please, no news/death/disaster posts - Yes, a breaking news post about DICTATOR X DIED TODAY or NATION/STATE Y FELL INTO OCEAN may make your day, but that’s not what we’re talking about.
- While some back handed compliments are okay “I normally disagree with poster BLUESTATE, but this post was awesome,” ironically putting a poster/thread here is not, nor is agreeing with a single point/line in a post and then ripping the post poster about everything else.
- Don’t refight another thread here - let’s not have "I loved FACTION X post # 24 because it sure make FACTION 7 look like inbred cretins. We’re (mostly? Sometimes?) adults here, fully capable of living up to the spirit, and not the letter of these few rules.
- -DON’T- disagree with someone who posts a thread. Rather than the usual ‘don’t attack the poster, attack the post’ please don’t do either. We often disagree, and this is IMHO. If someone likes someone I don’t, or a post I don’t, it doesn’t mean that they didn’t. But please see the rules above.
- Not a rule, but a suggestion - if you feel that your ‘back handed compliments’ are excessive, or you’re refighting an old argument, may I suggest you PM the person you’re trying to compliment and ask them? The point is to say positive things about other people - and if you think it’s borderline, you probable are, but why not ask the source first? If it gets you to reconsider either the compliment or the snark, it’s likely for the best.
Last but not least - this really is a Golden Rule Thread. Please be considerate.
Okay, now to kick this thread off, I want to mention (drumroll…)
Honestly, A_H posts make me want to grab a drink and grab some popcorn. They’re fun, often witty, and generally well researched. Sometime they’re a bit cruel, but rarely are they unjustified. And best of all, A_H is willing to be evenhanded even about people they may otherwise find unpleasant. For an example, her post #831 in the ongoing Schadenfreude PIT thread. Proving all comments in the pit don’t have to be unpleasant swearing fests. Text below in spoilers if people don’t want to go to the Pit or read Pit related content.
I was all in with the shaming the lawyers that were involved in the Stop The Steal campaign, the lawyers that filed all the bogus election lawsuits. I don’t think anyone has a right to file a frivolous lawsuit, and the characters working with the Trump campaign had an option of not pursuing frivolous litigation.
But this is different. I think Donald Trump was entitled to legal representation in his impeachment trial*, just as I feel every criminal defendant is entitled to legal representation, no matter how heinous the crime, no matter how obvious their guilt. It’s a basic civil right, and even the person that that tried to steal my most basic civil right, the right to have my vote count, gets to have legal representation.
ETA *Yes, I know this wasn’t a criminal trial, but as Trump did not have the option of not going to trial, I think the same principles should apply.
Okay, no more gushing. Everyone, find good things to say about people and posts!