Update on Confederate Battle Flag Sightings

Six months ago I posted in fervour’s thread about the State of Alabama’s observance of Confederate Memorial Day. I had just returned from a trip to Alabama and made this observation:

I just made that trip through Alabama again and to my disgust, there was one that I saw this time from I-65. I don’t know if it was there before or not. It is set back from the road a bit, but it is on a very tall flagpole and the flag itself is very large. I caught a glimpse of a marker that said “SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS”. I doubt if there are very many true sons left. At any rate, It was repugnant.

I did see one more Confederate battle flag on the trip, but I didn’t have to count it officially. It was about ten feet out onto the water. Some pre-adolescent had a mini surf board with the battle flag on it. My observations counted only from border to coast.

But Alabama still came out looking good compared to the sight only a few feet from my exit in Nashville. I had managed to forget the gosh-awful gold and silver statue of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, first Grand Wizard of the KKK, on a horse surrounded by thirteen Confederate battle flags.

At least the Nashvillians that I know would like to take an axe to it. It’s on private property. If only we could convince the State of Tennessee that pine trees would look so nice in front of it. I think it’s a road hazard. Tacky, tacky, tacky.