Updating podcasts on an iPod using iTunes.

I am using iTunes 4.9, which can manage podcasts. I also have sexy, sexy iPod.

I’ve set my Podcast preferences to:
“When new episodes are available: Download all”
“Keep: All unplayed Podcasts.”

My iPod Podcast preferences are set to: “Automatically update all Podcasts.”

So, I have some podcasts on my iPod. I listen to them. I plug my iPod into my computer, and my iPod is updated, in the process telling iTunes which podcasts I have listened to (i.e. setting the Play Count for the episode to 1). Then I hit the Update button in my Podcast playlist, which deletes the played episodes, and downloads new epidosdes according to my preferences. All of this works fine.

However, these deletions and new episodes are not transferred to my iPod. I have to unplug it and plug it back in in order for these changes to “take.”

As far as I can tell, there is no manual “Update iPod” button. You can set the iPod Music preferences to “Manage all songs manually” but . . . I don’t want to do that. And I don’t know if it would affect podcasts, which have their own separate preferences.

Is there any way I can change the preferences so that when I update my Podcasts, the changes are automatically made on my iPod without me having to unplug it and plug it back in?

I’m confused. Isn’t there an “Update iPod” option in the File menu, third from the bottom? Or is that something that only us Mac folks get?

You have to update your podcasts on your computer before you plug your iPod in. If you have your iPod set to automatically update when it’s plugged in, then it will only update what’s on your computer at the moment you plug it in. It won’t update anything downloaded after that, even while it’s still plugged in.

I’ve never used the “Update iPod” option MikeS suggests - I didn’t even know it was there - but you might try it after downloading updated podcasts while your iPod is still connected and see if it works.

I are a Mac folks. Just didn’t see it there! :smack: I’m turning into a regular Mac user, aren’t I? If there isn’t a big colorful icon to click, I can’t figure out how to do it. :wink:

I just tried it, and it works! Muchas gracias, Mike S!