US cities - three words or more?

Also Black River Falls and Fontana-on-Geneva Lake

Owens Cross Roads AL

Mountain Lake Park MD
Red River Hot Springs ID
San Luis Obispo CA
Big Stone Gap VA

Three or more words in a town name is not unusual, as this thread demonstrates. I think it’d be more interesting to ask what town name has the most words. And not counting those no-longer-used names of Los Angeles and Santa Fe. Has to be a currently used name.

Worldwide, the answer is probably United Townships of Dysart, Dudley, Harcourt, Guilford, Harburn, Bruton, Havelock, Eyre and Clyde (13 words) which is in Ontario. Unfortunately, that may fall into the not currently used exception, since it’s usually called Dysart et al.

The Village of Indian Hills would probably also fall into that exception, since everyone there just calls it Indian Hills.

Some time back, I found a long name of a southern town on a map. If memory serves (and I’m not 100% sure of that) it was “Industrial City of X, Y, and Z Counties”. I don’t remember the counties and for that matter, I’m not sure if it was in Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi. I later read that they’d changed the name to something shorter, so it would be eliminated on that grounds.

There’s quite a few 4-word names in this thread. Are there any US names of at least 5 words that are currently in use?

Indian Head Park IL (a suburb of Chicago)

Does New York City count?

Nope- the name of the city is just “New York”. Documents, letterhead, etc. often refer to “The City of New York” - but that’s not the name of the city any more than the state’s name is “New York State” or “The State of New York” although those phrases are also used.

It’s not a city (just a named place) and is in Canada, but I just gotta mention Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, Alberta. It’s actually a world heritage site.

Saint Clair Shores, MI
Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Point Reyes Station, CA, although I’m not sure if it counts as a city – Wikipedia calls it an “unincorporated town”, population 895.

ETA: Poking around Google Maps, I discovered Boyes Hot Springs, CA, in Sonoma County, population 6215.

Lake Forest Park, WA

There are 100+ townships in Maine with just the designation TXX RXX WELS where the Xs are numbers. Also a bunch called TXX RXX BKP WKR or TX Indian Purchase Township. Also in Maine: Grand Lake Stream, Lake View Plantation, Pleasant Ridge Plantation, St John Plantation, Sandy River Plantation, The Forks Plantation,

In NH there are Second College Grant, Atkinson and Gilmanton Academy Grant, Low and Burbank’s Grant, and Thompson and Meserve’s Purchase.

Pretty much none of these places have any municipal governments.

Bird in Hand, PA

Tyson’s Corner, VA was mentioned a couple times. Isn’t that one word short? Also, it’s entirely commercial; anyone claiming it as a residence has a post office in Vienna or McLean.

Where is Two in Bush?

Bullitt

Where is Two in Bush?

Well, there is a nearby town called Intercourse… ETA: I clearly misunderstood the tenor of your post.

Auburn Lake Trails, California
San Ramon Village
Camanche North Shore
Forks of Butte (it’s now a ghost town)
Contra Costa Centre
Mercey Hot Springs
Salton Sea Beach
Pilot Knob Station
Death Valley Junction
Bear Valley Springs
China Lake Acres
Lake of the Woods
Pine Mountain Club
Squirrel Mountain Valley
Hidden Valley Lake
Desert View Highlands
Seminole Hot Springs
Point Reyes Station
Oak Grove Estates
New Pine Creek
Del Rey Oaks
Pacific Grove Estates
Tassajara Hot Springs
Lake of the Pines
Rough and Ready
Rancho Santa Margarita
San Juan Capistrano
Coto de Caza
Rancho Mission Viejo
Lake Almanor Country Club
Lake Almanor Peninsula
Little Grass Valley
Desert Hot Springs
Gilman Hot Springs
Willow Springs Station
San Juan Bautista
Big Bear Lake
Mountain View Acres
San Antonio Heights
Spring Valley Lake
Green Valley Lake
Mountain Home Village
Casa de Oro
Jacumba Hot Springs
Lake San Marcos
San Diego County Estates
De Luz Heights
Kentwood-In-The-Pines
Emerald Lake Hills
Los Trancos Woods
Princeton-By-The-Sea
Los Altos Hills
La Selva Beach
Rio del Mar
Fall River Mills
Forks of Salmon
Fetters Hot Springs
Sereno del Mar
Mark West Springs
Odd fellows Park
Russian River Terrace
Monterey Park Tract
Rancho Tehama Reserve
El Monte Mobile Village
Pine Mountain Lake
Channel Islands Beach
Santa Rosa Valley
Silver Strand Beach, Californika

CDPs should absolutely count because the distinction is legal and arbitrary - one of the biggest is Paradise, Nevada. You know most of it as the Las Vegas Strip but it is legally not a part of the city of Las Vegas; they get tax benefits for not joining. Similarly, comparing city proper sizes is mostly pointless, metro area is a better metric.

What you are describing are unincorporated areas - areas with no local government below the county level. While named unincorporated areas may be CDPs, many CDPs are parts of incorporated areas. The aforementioned King of Prussia is in fact a part of Upper Merion Township. In that part of Pennsylvania that arrangement is quite common. Many of the CDPs in the area I grew up in are named after the local tavern or inn (as was King of Prussia). I am not aware of any unincorporated areas in Southeastern PA.

Surprised no one has mentioned the nation’s capitol: District of Columbia