US Dopers which US City are you closest too (out of the top 50)?

I’m about 20 miles north of Oakland, CA. I’m just slightly farther from San Francisco.

I’m about equidistant from Knoxville TN (not on the poll though) Nashville TN, and Atlanta. I picked Nashville as it’s about 50 mi closer, and in the same state.

The City of San Antonio is now represented…

?

Do you live in Chattanooga?

Thanks for clarifying. I was surprised that St. Louis wasn’t on the list, but I guess that explains why. According to Wikipedia, St. Louis “has a 2010 population of 319,294 and is the principal municipality of Greater St. Louis, population 2,892,874, the largest urban area in Missouri, the 4th largest urban area in the Midwest, and 15th-largest in the United States.”

I’m a lot closer to St. Louis than to any of the cities that actually made the list. But if I’m restricted to the ones on the list, I’ll have to copy HeyHomie’s answer.

Raleigh, NC.

And, holy crap, I never would have guessed that Raleigh (proper) had more people than either Miami (proper) or Saint Louis (proper). The population densities for both of those cities are much higher than Raleigh, though, so I’m guessing that Raleigh just covers a bigger area.

Yeah, St Louis is one of those oddities where the city is not part of the county but basically stands alone. It’s surrounded by St Louis county so there’s really nowhere for the city to expand.

Count me in for Kansas City KS. Or MO. Or whatever.

Raleigh: 142 sq. miles
Miami: 36 sq. miles
St. Louis: 62 sq. miles

However, the largest of the cities in the poll is Jacksonville, FL with about 750 sq. miles within the city limits. (My city, San Antonio, is about 420 sq. miles in area. Anchorage Alaska, however, is about 1,700 sq. miles… just FYI).

LA, with Long Beach a close second.

I tried to eyeball it one a map and couldn’t be sure. So I checked online and found out that the distances between where I live and Cleveland, New York City, and Philadelphia are all within ten miles of each other.

Glad to see Omaha is still in the top 50.

It would have to be. Long Beach is IN the Los Angeles metropolitan area.

That said, Long Beach city limits is a shorter drive for me than Los Angeles.

First I thought it would be Grand Rapids Mich(I’m 90 miles North of GR),but it’s not on the list,so I figured Detroit for sure, but decided to check how far I am from Milwaukee.Milwaukee is about 10 miles closer than Detroit ,tho it would take me much longer to drive there.

Somewhere in the vicinity, no doubt (it’s also where I live) but he can’t be in the city itself with Nashville being that much closer than Atlanta. Chattanooga is almost exactly halfway between the two cities, so he must be somewhere west of it. South Pittsburg, maybe?

Columbus, Ohio. I’m maybe an hour from there.

Here in Ohio, we use “hour” as a unit of distance.

It’s Sacramento…and it’s where I’ve called home for 43 years :slight_smile:

See location field.

Victorville, CA is #229 ?!?!
Fontana, CA is #115 ?!?!
San Bernardino is #100 ?!?!

I’m getting old…these towns were little hick towns…now I guess they are big hick towns.

Population by city:
Raleigh: 403,892
Miami: 433,136
St. Louis: 319,294

**Population by MSA: **
Raleigh: 1,125,827
Miami: 5,547,051
St. Louis: 2,779,939

The poll is by city square mileage, not city population.

Sq. Miles:
Raleigh: 144.8 sq mi
Miami: 55.27 sq mi
St. Louis: 66.2 sq mi

Me too me too!:cool: