US Dopers which US City are you closest too (out of the top 50)?

Beantown, baby!

I don’t think so. Wikipedia has a list of cities by area, and it doesn’t even come close to matching the poll list.

Omar Little, what did you base your poll on?

Nashville for me too, although another 50 miles (on top of the distance to Nashville) in the opposite(ish) direction would put me in Atlanta.

Ah - looks to be this list, linked to earlier:

Which does have Raleigh above Miami and St. Louis. My bad!

I am not 100% sure, but think it is Baltimore. With Philly being a close second.

I’m almost exactly halfway between Oakland and San Jose. Google Maps shows the driving distance from my house to be one mile shorter to Oakland, so that’s what I chose.

153 miles from New York City.

I’m not halfway between Boston and anywhere. I have to go *through *Boston to get to any of the others.

153 miles south of Miami. Yep, Key West.

40 miles north of Indy.

and I used to live in Indy.

Jacksonville, although it’s really not a big city. Its borders extend way out into the suburbs and beyond, which is why it makes this list. I’ve only been there twice and driven by a few times on the way somewhere else; it’s not a city I’d want to live in. I live near Orlando, which is a much cooler city than Jacksonville, IMO. (Theme parks notwithstanding; I’m talking about the real downtown city of Orlando.)

IIRC the reason why the City of Jacksonville is so big is because, several decades ago, the administrations of Jacksonville and surrounding Duval County merged. So nowadays, Jacksonville takes up almost all of Duval County, which is pretty big.

By contrast, the City of Orlando comprises only a fraction of Orange County. The Orlando metro area has a higher population than the Jacksonville metro area, though (I recall Orlando having roughly a bazillion suburbs, most of whose names contain either “Winter”, “Park” or “Lake”.)

I was thinking closer to McMinnville. :slight_smile:

I’m just 13 miles and several exits on I-40 from Nashville.

Kokomo?

(grew up there)

So far I’m the only one closest to Louisville. Less than 2 hours drive. (We measure distance in hours here in Indiana, too…)

I live in Houston.

I think it makes a little sense. You certainly can’t go by area: my town of much less than 10,000 people has within one and a half square miles the same land area as Boston with its population of over 600,000 people.

Right in the middle of #1 here.

I live in San Francisco, a few blocks from City Hall.

Dallas, TX here.