US voters: Are you afraid of the other side, and to what extent?

Unlike the Reich-wing Trumpistas, who just come right out and attempt to destroy America.

Okay, no one said that they were showing fear and cowardice. Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

That’s a bit different from what you said earlier, saying that we should make them afraid of us.

Who is doing this? Who are you even addressing here?

Even with these events, we shouldn’t let the far right scare us into submission. These events shouldn’t scare us, they should make us angry enough to protect ourselves if need be. We shouldn’t let them terrorize us into just letting them get away with it.

It’s obvious they want a war. We should be prepared to win against them.

To be clear, that wasn’t my point. My point was that @Velocity feels that white supremacists are “all bark and no bite” – in at least some notable recent events, this is most clearly not true.

What frightens me the most is the retreat from the center on both sides, not just the Republicans. Neither party is aiming toward the center/moderates particularly hard- the Democrats are doing a better job than the Republicans, but their party is still being pulled too far left (IMO) by Progressives and people like Bernie Sanders.

It seems to be becoming literally a “lesser of two evils” type decision, and either choice is rather extreme. I mean, the choice shouldn’t be between the GOP no emission controls and global warming doesn’t exist, and AOC’s Green New Deal. There should be something in the middle that isn’t pandering to the extremes.

Beyond that, the next two things that scare me about the other side(Conservative/GOP) are first that they have committed wholesale to basically trying to rewrite/reframe reality in their own terms- “alternative facts” and “fake news” are examples of that. As recently as say… Obama’s administration, both sides agreed on what was going on in the world, and differed on if it needed to be addressed or how it should be addressed. In recent years, the very facts of what is going on in the world are in question- one side thinks that crazy shit is actually real- global warming is a conspiracy, the presidential election was stolen, Democrats want to destroy the US’ sovereignty via the UN, US Army exercises (Jade Helm) are some kind of New World Order takeover, and so on.

Second, the idea that there’s a “package deal” or bundle of identity, behavior, beliefs, etc… that’s basically being sold to the other side. A sort of “If you’re a Republican/Conservative/Christian/Country person/etc… then you believe these things, act this way, dress this way, listen to country music, vote this way, worship this way.” kind of deal, with a lot of peer pressure and conformity involved. I don’t remember that ever being a thing in the past- not as a statement of identity anyway. If people fell into those categories, it was happenstance, not someone trying to engineer an identity for future voters or their political base. You could be a Republican and not be rural/country in any way- there wasn’t any identity bound up with what you chose in the voting booth. But that doesn’t seem to be the case any more.

I’m beginning to think that it’s not just those on the right that are looking forward to some political violence.

If there is such a war, everyone loses.

I’m a bit concerned for my own safety and security, sure. But I’m more concerned about what happens after the dust settles in such a scenario. Doesn’t matter which side produced more dead bodies, neither side wins.

That’s merely a political disagreement. The kind that’s actually healthy

I don’t think that’s what the OP was talking about.

Well I’m sorry to say that it’s inevitable. It’s going to happen eventually. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not within the next 5-10 years, but it will eventually happen.

It’s only going to get worse from here. Prepare yourself one way or another.

You don’t sound sorry at all, which is what worries me. People who shake their heads predicting violence and tell people to get ready for it don’t, in my experience, work to prevent it.

I’m not scared by people with gun pictures on stuff or anything like that. It’s the clowns that actually carry guns at political events that give me the heebie-jeebies. The only reasons to do that are to either shoot people or intimidate people, neither of which are acceptable.

Yes. I’m afraid of what ‘the other side’ may do. To what extent? Well, I don’t live in constant fear, but I’d say my level of concern has risen quite a bit in the last 10 years or so.

Yes, war is ugly…but you know, maybe, just maybe, if we can show that we’re willing to defend ourselves from them, maybe they’ll have the mind to to think it’s not worth fighting. You know, instead of thinking they can just stomp all over us. Maybe us showing strength instead of cowardice can prevent rather than start a war.

Think: which one of us is really the stronger side? Sure they’ve resorted to violence more than us, but is it out of strength or stupidity? Should you let a caveman control you?

When I see videos like this…

This is what tells me that they’re more bark and not much bite.

Now I know what you’re gonna say: “if these cavemen carry guns instead of clubs” yada yada, but then this only tells me that maybe we should start carrying guns too. Maybe we should start listening to their line of “better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it” so we could create a balance. It’s already happening: more leftists have been arming themselves lately.

If we have enough people on “our side”, with that attitude, then it certainly will.

Let’s not forget that we outnumber them.

Won’t play for me.

There are mirror links. Check the comments.

I opened Chrome (which I never use), and it played there.

He calmed right the fuck down, after that punch in the mouth.
:rofl:

No one has said anything that would lead me to that conclusion. Can you explain why you think that people are being cowards and that they will just stomp all over us?

Mostly stupidity, which is why I don’t see a reason to resort to the same type of stupid violence.

Nope. Which is why calls to “Man up!” fall on deaf ears, as that is caveman talk.

This is an anecdote, and if you take anything away from it that extends to anyone but this individual, then you are not doing data correctly.

No you don’t. Well, unless you are talking to that pile of straw you’ve gathered together there, in which case, you are welcome to put words into its mouth.

So, become them so that they don’t win? Sounds a rather pyrrhic victory to me.

Lots of people on the left have been arming themselves for a while for a number of reasons. But you seem to be expecting gunfights in the street or something. If we get to that point, then we’ve all lost. Do you not get that?

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Indeed, if we have to become gun-toting thugs to stop the gun-toting thugs from taking over our country, they win, because now gun-toting thugs are in charge anyways.