Vegetarians and meat dishes

I’m sure this has been asked umpteen times before, but I evidently haven’t entered the correct keywords.

This is aimed at those who won’t eat meat as opposed to those who can’t. No flames, please.

You’re having a party: do you prepare meat dishes for the meat-eaters? If not, why not? Isn’t not providing a meat dish hypocritical? Just as you expect others to show consideration to you, shouldn’t you show consideration to them?

When you’re invited to dinner, you expect to be served a vegetarian dish, right? What if you’re served a meat dish? If you’re inviting non-vegetarians to dinner, do you cook a meat dish for them? If not, why not? Again, isn’t not providing a meat dish hypocritical?

FWIW I have a friend who can’t consume milk; she has no problem providing non-milk-free food to others.

The terms aren’t clearly defined. Specifically, what sort of party? If I was arranging a large reception for many people, I would provide meat of some sort. If it was a small private party at my house, I probably would not have the time to make two separate main courses. I’ve never met a non-vegetarian who wasn’t willing (and in most cases, eager) to eat a vegetarian dish, so I fail to see how it qualifies as hypocricy.

Why not? A vegetarian may not have meat dishes on hand, for one. Or they may feel that buying meat and making the food is the wrong thing to do whether they eat it or their guests do.
I think hypocritical is a stretch. A non-vegetarian eats both meat and vegetables, and as such I don’t think you’re committing any kind of ethical violation if you don’t serve meat.

Would you think it inconsiderate for practising Jews not to provide non-kosher meals at their parties?

What about Muslims and pork?

I serve only veggie because, well, I’m an excellent cook and, over the years, I’ve acquired a repertoire of meals (in a number of food traditions) that no meat-eater we’ve had to dinner (or to stay) has ever done anything other than turned up for another eating experience.

Most meat-eaters I’ve come across are more interested in good food than they are about craving meat for a few days.

Of course, if everybody exists in a culture of fries v’s burgers as against fries v’s veggieburgers . . . .

| Would you think it inconsiderate for practising Jews not to
| provide non-kosher meals at their parties?

EXACTLY - mind you, raising a veggie family has enormous advantages for this Jewish mother :slight_smile:

I’m not a vegetarian, but if a vegetarian invited me over for dinner I certainly wouldn’t expect them to serve meat, nor would I particularly want them to. I don’t know too many non-vegetarians who insist on – or even prefer – meat at every meal. (The ones who do are mostly picky eaters who tend not to accept many dinner invitations anyhow.)

ITR champion Assume the type of party is irrelevant.

ITR and Marly, are you not not showing the same consideration that you would expect a non-vegetarian to show to you?

Ruadh I lump those under can’t rather than won’t

Candida Again, religion comes under can’t rather than **won’t. Hqaving said that, I have a Jewish friend who has no trouble cooking bacon for guests.

I suppose I should have made the distinction clearer.

Fretful Porpentine If you cooked a meat dish for yourvegetarian friends, would you expect them to eat it? If not, why not and why should you not give similar treatment when you are presented with a vegetarian dish?

Uh, I still don’t get it. The point of providing a vegetarian dish when you have a vegetarian over for dinner is that you’re providing something that they CAN EAT, given their moral/religious/whatever convictions. If someone is lactose intolerant or allergic to peanuts, should they be expected to provide dishes that have milk products or peanuts in them to their guests because when they visit, they expect meals without those things? I don’t eat mammals, and I warn people about this if I’m eating over. Is it rude if I have someone who DOES eat mammals over and serve chicken instead of making a special beef dish for them?

And therein lies the problem. For many vegetarians the refusal to eat meat is based on a sincere belief that it is morally wrong to do so. This belief is no less deeply felt just because it is not inspired by some millenia-old book (although saying that, for some vegetarians it is religious as well) - shouldn’t you respect their beliefs as you would Jews’ or Muslims’?

My point about kosher was an aside, not a point in terms of the OP.

My point, in terms of the OP, was that I can’t see what the problem is. Well cooked and exciting dishes tend to be universal in their appeal.

Perhaps I should serve several courses of serious and seriously presented food for most people and provide fries and burgers for the meat-obsessed?

elfbabe As stated in the OP, I’m differentiating between those who can’t from those who won’t. Your reply does not clarify the matter.

Now you’ve done it! You’ve upset the Hamsters by telling their secret! :smiley:

I’m one of those who won’t eat meat (unless, of course, you consider the nonfertilized chicken eggs I do consume to be meat). No flames from me.

Nope.

I never have any in my apartment. If my guests feel the need to consume “charred mammal flesh,” there’s a Circle-K (which a number of us, since the shoot-out there a couple of months ago, have started to refer to as “the O-K Corral”) across the street.

I don’t see anything hypocritical about it. When I go to someone else’s house, there’s both vegetable/fruit dishes and meat dishes because humans are naturally omnivorous. I just go ahead and take a pass on the meat dishes. When someone visits my place, they can either eat or not eat. I also ensure, when I have a Muslim or Jewish friend over, that there’s something they’ll be able to eat. I don’t drink either; however, I do use that “dealcoholed” wine for parties. So far, only one person’s not liked it & that had nothing to do with the taste (I used to drink so I know the taste is very similar to the boozy stuff)–he just wanted the booze.

Well, all of my friends are aware of my peculiar eating habits (Ovolctovegetarian LDS) and warn me beforehand what’s likely to be out of bounds for me. OTOH, I don’t expect them to go out of their way. If it’s something I won’t or can’t (I’m allergic to shellfish, which apparently really means I’m allergic to the iodine in them) eat, I just take a pass on it.

I believe this is merely a repetition of your earlier questions which I’ve answered above.

“To each his own.”

Okay, I have absolutely no idea either what “Ovolctovegetarian LDS” is so let’s just go ahead and pretend what I wrote there was really “Ovo-lacto-vegetarian LDS.”

So, qts, is there a huge, undiscovered population of people who won’t eat vegetables out there that I haven’t heard about? Do you really know anbody who subsists entirely on meat, by choice?

Wait, I think I know a few of those people.

FWIW, a vegetarian friend of mine had a party last night, and served entirely vegetarian dishes. Of the thirty people there, probably twenty were ominvores, including me. I didn’t see anybody complaining. The chili was some of the best I’ve ever had, too. And given that it was a vegetarian who invited everybody over to his house for the party, I don’t think anybody expected anything different.

As a side note: how are deeply held ethical conclusions a matter of choice, but religious beliefs a matter of compulsion? Sounds more like a lame attempt to tweak the herbivores, to me.

Ruadh We’re sguing somewhat, but the point is still that do vegetarians expect non-vegetarians to respect their dietary preferences but not vice versa?

Does noone remember Aesop’s The Fox and the Stork?

How is this any different than someone who believes they shouldn’t eat meat because for ethical and/or moral reasons? They still can’t eat it because of their belief system.

And how is somebody who doesn’t eat meat supposed to taste the food they’re cooking? A non-veg can taste a vegetarian dish he is preparing with no problem.

And if one believes that eating meat is wrong, then it would be wrong to contribute financially (by purchasing meat) to that industry.

I don’t see anything hypocritical here. I think the OP has drawn an arbitrary distinction between can’t and won’t.

No I wouldn’t expect them to eat it, because they are against eating meat for whatever reason. I, on the other hand, have nothing against eating vegetables. If I was a carnivore and only ate meat, then it would be a different story.

That point has been addressed numerous times. Why did you ask the question if you refuse to consider the answer?