very healthy relationships shown in media

I haven’t really observed very healthy relationships – romantic relationships or friendships – in real life, and I thought it might be good to expose myself to realistic good relationships as depicted in media. If they become easier to believe in, that’ll help me.

For my purposes, the more it shows this and the less time it spends on other stuff, the better.

Films, books, television… Perhaps documentaries are a good place to look?

Parent-child relationships aren’t very relevant for me here, but feel free to bring them up as well.

Coach Eric Taylor and his wife Tami Taylor on Friday Night Lights. (The tv series, not the movie.)

Maxwell Smart and 99 from Get Smart.

Nomi Marks and Amanita in* Sense8*. While watching it, it actually struck me how unusual it was to see two normal, loving people in a healthy relationship.

I’ve started watching* Dexter* (I know, I know, I’m 10 years behind on pop culture) and Dexter and his girlfriend (fiance?) have a good relationship. Well, apart from the whole “I secretly kill people” thing . . .

Yep, this is the one I was going to say. Hands down winner, IMO.

Gomez and Morticia Addams. Passionate; loving; love each other because of their weirdness, not despite it; adventurous; not consumed by kids’ needs and issues.

Great couple.

Bob’s Burgers has always impressed me with the simple way they depict a family dynamic that is weird and funny, yes, but also very solidly healthy and respectful. It’s about a family where everyone loves each other and no one ever makes a big deal about it.

5+ year old spoiler below:

Anyone who’s watched past the first few seasons knows why this is unintentionally hilarious.

Yes! Good one. Bob and Linda are kind of like Homer and Marge from earlier Simpsons seasons, with the genders swapped a bit. Plus the Chicken and Hawk episode had me unexpectedly in tears.

I don’t absolutely love the show but I do like it, for that reason.

I’d say the Cosby Show’s Cliff and Claire have a great marriage (and they’re always doin’ it) but I can’t really recommend it anymore.

Mike and Frankie Heck from The Middle. They love each other but neither are all ‘showy’ about it, b/c that’s not what love is.

Lois and Hal from Malcolm in the Middle always struck me as having a healthy but realistic relationship with each other.

Also Francis and Piama from the same show.

Elizabeth and Henry McCord from the current series “Madam Secretary”. They also have a great relationship with their three teenage/young adult children, who are dealing with their own foibles.

I love that show! :slight_smile: It’s on right after “60 Minutes”.

My first thought was Mad About You.

Second. This is my model relationship, actually.

Yep.

And a third vote for Gomez and Morticia.

Didn’t Jamie cheat on him?

Having a very healthy relationship doesn’t mean no one will ever cheat. Healthy relationships also run into problems. You measure their healthiness according to how these problems are resolved.