Vincent D'Onofrio - Is he a bad actor or just miscast in that Law and Order spin-off?

:dubious:

Its interesting to contrast VdO with David Caruso on CSI Miami. Personally, I find Caruso to be the benchmark of unwatchability in this show. I cannot stand to watch the ridiculously mannered performance he turns in, wearing the aris out of his character week on week. VdO’s Law and Order performance is definitely cut from the same cloth IMO, but I find he mixes in just enough meat and potatoes acting to make the whole thing bearable.

Well, if you don’t like D’Onofrio, you can see him get the crap kicked out of him in the post-apocalyptic sports movie The Blood of Heroes.

I’m hoping the last episode of L&O: CI will feature D’Onofrio in one of his standard end-of-show interrogations with a suspect played by Ermey. When D’Onofrio starts hinting that lack of parental affection can cause a “malfunctioning” psyche, Ermey grabs a gun, shoots D’Onofrio, then himself.

:smack: :smack: :smack:

I don’t watch any law shows, so I haven’t seen him in this role, but he’s one of my favorite character actors. I’ve like him ever since “Mystic Pizza.” IMO, his relationship with Lili Taylor was the most interesting thing in the movie.

Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to come downtown and answer a few questions.

Are you saying he should go tear-assing around Hollywood in a brand new Edgar suit?

Unfortunately for D’Onofrio, another actor (Maurice LaMarche) dubbed the voice.

You mean THE BRAIN dubbed Welles?

That’s Detective Goren, not Detective Gorn.

Whoosh!

“The victim was apparently shot with some kind of primitive cannon. Would you like to explain how you got POTASSIUM NITRATE residue on your hands?”

Yes… you’re right, theres’ just *no way * my comment (iwth pic links even!) could have an extension of his humorous play on the words “Goren” & “Gorn”, no siree Bob! You got me! I was sooo wooshed!

I gotta admit,you guys are good!

I agree completely. I think that one performance makes up for anything he might have done since.

As an actor, it must be hard to pass up a steady paycheck when it is offered. Sam Waterston? Exceptional in “The Glass Menagerie” and “The Killing Fields”, and now he is reduced to showing eyebrows and indignation every week.

I also agree with Larry Borgia; D’Onofrio’s role was written to be mildly dysfunctional. They would get into his troubled childhood a bit at the beginning, but later seemed to drop that except when Olivia D’Abo was a guest star. I just put it down to the writing. I find the L&O shows mildly interesting, but the writing has never been great enough to make them worth a second viewing to me.

Okay, I just misunderstood your post, since it seemed to be repeating exactly the same joke. So the whoosh is on me, I guess. Sorry if I offended.

Bryan Ekers writes:

> I’m hoping the last episode of L&O: CI will feature D’Onofrio in one of his
> standard end-of-show interrogations with a suspect played by Ermey. When
> D’Onofrio starts hinting that lack of parental affection can cause
> a “malfunctioning” psyche, Ermey grabs a gun, shoots D’Onofrio, then himself.

I’m hoping that in the last episode, the suspect will be played by Renee Zellweger, his co-star in The Whole Wide World. When D’Onofrio starts to get snide as usual, Zellweger can just smile sweetly and say, “I know how upset you are because your mother died. You really need to find something other than your work to distract you from your grief. Have you ever considered becoming a pulp writer?” Then D’Onofrio will grab a gun and shoot himself.

A moment when a smilie can convey a fleeting feeling: :eek:

You guys!!!

I love D’Onofrio. I think his Goren character is great. It’s on here every Tuesday evening, and we watch it religiously. Nicholson in “The Shining” meets Columbo. Brilliant.

I don’t see why anyone would find him annoying - that’s the point of the character! As for his role in FMJ: anyone claiming he was a hack in that role, well, let’s just say they’re not right in the head. :slight_smile:

Caruso in CSI: Miami is another example. Over-acting in an almost Shateresque style, to suit the character. I love it! :slight_smile:

Considering that LaMarche also did the voice of Welles at least once in that series, that’s not so surprising. :slight_smile: