Virginia gov. yearbook page has Klan and blackface pictures

The only puzzling thing here is that you apparently thought anyone would disagree with the statement. This may be an occasion of your misunderstanding the arguments you disagree with.

Go figure.

Nah, couldn’t possibly. :smiley:

I know that all the right-leaning folks who are ready to give credence to this accusation against Justin Fairfax are absolutely outraged that Mr. Grab-Em-By-The-Pussy hasn’t been forced to resign.

I snipped the rest and do not want to hijack this discussion but what movie was this? My brain vaguely recalls the plot as you described it but I’ll be darned if I can place the movie’s name.

People voted for him based on who he is and what he said in speeches, debates, interviews, and ads. Why is he any less qualified now than he was at election time? All of us did dumbass cringeworthy stuff in our youth, maybe not blackface bad, but still. That was 35 years ago.

Because no one has the right to serve as an elected official.

FWIW, here’s what the WaPo has to say about the story:

I would be uncomfortable with giving someone the boot on the basis of an anonymous, unsupported accusation.

But I’ll make this prediction: if the woman does come forward, she may get some flak. But it’ll be just a tiny fraction of what Christine Blasey Ford has endured. Because while there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum, the left, by and large, doesn’t believe in ruining the lives of people just for being inconveniently on the wrong side.

There are some lines that decent people don’t cross. Ever.

Soul Man.

[my bold]

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, they didn’t know about this when they voted for him.

I never saw it, but I think the movie being referred to was Soul Man.

There wasn’t in Denver about Hancock at the start. It was a lot of “OMG the City Council needs to remove him”. When the Council said that removing the Mayor required a recall vote it turned into “nevermind then” and now it’s not even heard of as he’s starting his re-election campaign.

Give it time and if Northam doesn’t resign see if Virginians demand a recall election statute.

Passing a recall statute that doesn’t grandfather in the current officeholder sets a really bad precedent.

There is a statute, I posted details here:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=21466294&postcount=132

Give the name to Dianne Feinstein and it won’t be anonymous for long.

So Fairfax lied? Hmm.

So we shouldn’t believe unsubstantiated accusations? Fair enough. Is that before, or after, the FBI investigations?

Regards,
Shodan

What is your opinion on sexual assault allegations against powerful men? I think they should be fully investigated, regardless of political (or other) consequences.

It’s super cool how, even when someone points out that you can’t paraphrase an opponent’s argument, you respond by misparaphrasing what they said.

Edit: wait, I just realized it’s even cooler than that. When someone AGREES with something you say, you misparaphrase YOURSELF in an effort to make them look dumb for agreeing with you. That’s downright impressive.

Don’t you get it? We have to have ironclad evidence *before *there’s an investigation.

You need to think of this as a job interview - the people of Virginia are deciding if the lieutenant governor should become the governor.

Unsubstantiated allegations where nobody else was present can be dismissed. Unsubstantiated allegations, where the accuser says there are multiple witnesses but none of the witnesses back her up - then you got something, and the FBI needs to investigate and the Dems should find somebody else who hasn’t been accused and so forth.

Regards,
Shodan

Fairfax will get his chance 2021 when he can run for Governor of Virginia, after the current governor’s term ends. Northham isn’t stepping down.

Is that what you thought of the Kavanaugh hearings? :dubious: