Vocalist Chris Cornell is Dead?! Soundgarden, Audioslave

Link here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/arts/music/chris-cornell-dead-soundgarden.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=1&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F05%2F18%2Farts%2Fmusic%2Fchris-cornell-dead-soundgarden.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0

Just announced and no cause listed.

What? I am stunned. One of the best voices of the rock era. Wow.

I just heard that and was stunned because he had to be too young to go, he was 52 I believe. It seems like a strange age range for musical deaths: Rory Gallagher, 54. Joey Ramone, 49. Dee Dee Ramone, 50. Johnny Ramone was in that range, too. Weird.

Stunned and sad. :frowning:

Oh what a shock to wake up to this terrible news. Much too young to die.

RIP Chris.

One of the pioneers of the Seattle sound. I didn’t care much for Soundgarden in their heyday, but they’ve grown on me over time.

Especially since KZOK, the Seattle classic rock station, started putting them into rotation a few years ago, which has made me aware both of the impact they’ve had on rock and the fact that I’m officially becoming an old man.

Farewell, Chris. Perhaps somewhere, in some other plane of existence, you and Andrew Wood are performing an epic jam of “Hunger Strike”.

Damn. I always liked his stuff, and he did indeed have a terrific voice.

50 is the new 27.

The bands I loved when I was in high school and early college:

Alice in Chains
Nirvana
Stone Tempe Pilots
Soundgarden(well, I didn’t love them, but still)

Who else from that “era” of alternative rock has had their lead singer die? We still have Pearl Jam, but I swear that is about it. At least of the big ones.

:frowning:

One of the few amazing voices I’ve ever heard live (and it was one Hell of a show).

RIP, Chris Cornell… :frowning:

Being investigated as a possible suicide :frowning:

Shocked

A once-a-generation rock voice, gone too soon. I can’t believe it.

Couldn’t stand Soundgarden, loved his solo and Audioslave stuff.

This is stunning. He had just finished a show at the Fox theater in Detroit, just a few hours before. RIP.

Ugh. The last track on Superunknown.

Sad news to wake up to this. Thankfully, we have his recordings which preserve that awesome voice.

Not true! Give this fellow a listen.

Sad news. I grew up listening to him and saw him do a kickass acoustic set at the Hangout Festival about 5 years ago.

That set was so cool because it was such and intimate sound for something so hard…

I was shocked to wake up to this news as well.

Died just after a concert in Detroit last night? It just doesn’t make sense.

Say hello to Heaven Chris…RIP

I met Soundgarden in early 1990; they were touring ahead of the release of Louder Than Love. They band showed up way early, like 7 hours early, for sound check so I took them to The Grande Finale for lunch and beers. Then I took them bowling. Afterward, Kim and Hiro and I shot a couple of games of pool. After the show I sold them some weed (they had lost all theirs when a cop in Louisiana pulled them over) and hung out a bit. The next morning, at like 5:30am, I was riding my bike to one of my other jobs (weekend morning DJ at WTNT, a country radio station) when the band pulled up alongside in their van, hooting and hollering at me. We said our last good-byes and they drove off to their next show. Fantastic bunch of guys; great music, too.

RIP Chris.

I wore laser grooves in my Soundgarden CDs in the 90s. They were a staple.

Most of my brushes with celebrity are non-events but I’m reminded of *meeting *Chris on their bus in Charlotte. My buddy, Scully, was friends with Matt and we were chatting in the front of the tour bus. Chris came in from the back, opened the door and asked in Matt’s direction, “Who’re these guys?” Matt *introduced *us as “some local friends” and left it at that. As a reply, Mr. Cornell gave a deep belch in our direction, turned around and closed the door as he left. Fuckin’ rockstars :rolleyes:

RIP Chris… buuuurrrp!

Fuck balls.

Thanks for the amazing tunes, Chris. RIP

I saw Soundgarden in 1992, and beyond, and Audioslave, too. Great rockers, but I never got into them beyond the Badmotorfinger album which I still love.

Yeah, this sucks. Soundgarden was great live. And as somebody about to turn 50, he was way, way, way too young to die at 52.

Fell on black days, indeed.