'W' and 'V' Look Faded On My Computer Screen.

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

I haven’t seen any changes in the board at all, much less a font change that has peculiarities. Why would only some users be seeing the change?

(To ClearTypify… I know why browsers and text display differently on different systems, but why are some users and not others seeing the underlying font change?)

It is not due to a recent change. It has been happening for ages, as this thread from 2001 (already linked in post #4) attests.

Oh. Mmkay.

It does seem like something that could be fixed by adjusting the type enhancement feature. Has anyone tried/succeeded/failed?

If you haven’t noticed it, that may be because you simply haven’t noticed it (it is quite subtle), or it may be due to the text zoom level you use, as it appears much more clearly at certain zoom levels than others. (But I am not saying you have to make the text huge to see it, not at all. I find one click of positive zoom makes it emerge more clearly than in the default, 0, zoom, which I find too small for comfort. Another click may make it a bit less noticeable again, but I haven’t explored the issue systematically.) Possibly it only affects certain monitors. What I am fairly sure it is not, however, is an issue with Clear Type. At any rate, I have Clear Type on and I went through the tuning process quite carefully. In general it significantly improves font rendering. But, on this Board, specifically, Vs and Ws look faded.

Your computer needs a new V-chip.

It’s not an issue on my system, or any of my systems - including Dolphin on a Note II.

I am very, very fussy about type display (since it is both essential to my work and high in my artistic canon). I know some fonts are erratic across different browsers/displays, which is a fundamental fault of the font itself, but Trebuchet is a modern digital font and should not have such variations.

I wonder if it’s a case of systems substituting another font. Those who are having trouble should look to see if Trebuchet MS is an active system font.

(Many classic fonts look crappy on digital displays, which is why MS and others have developed whole families of digital-era fonts for the task. Many of these look like crap when printed… I have a Word project I have never bothered to change from Cambria and while it looks good on the screen, the printed pages shimmer annoyingly.)

I was all like “What the heck are they talking about?” until I started messing around with the zoom feature. I nearly always keep the zoom at 100%, and the issue wasn’t visible for me at that level. Then I zoomed in two notches and, bam, the "w"s were all faded in the middle! Only at that specific zoom level does it show up on my computer in Firefox. All other zoom levels look normal.

So I did an experiment. I loaded up SDMB in Chrome and fiddled with the zoom level. No faded "w"s at any point. Then I loaded up IE. Totally different. At 100% zoom, the "w"s were very subtly faded. Then again at 115%, 120%, and 125%. Back to normal at 130% and higher. No fading below 100% either. I also found that the "v"s were faded in the same situations, but less severely. Bolded type was not effected at all.

My computer is running Windows 7 x64 and I have one 30" (2536x1600) LCD and two 21" (1600x1200) in portrait mode. Results were consistent across monitors. So this seems to be both highly browser and zoom level dependent. Thus explaining why many people have not noticed it and others have. IE seems to be much more prone to this particular issue than Firefox and Chrome, at least on my machine.

I put up an example imageof what it looks like in Firefox at 2 zoom levels up from default. It helps to look at the image at full size, but you can see the effect even in the shrunken preview.

I’ll be damned. I just followed Enigma’s process and get the faded characters at the same second level of zoom (in FF). Since I tend to run small type (100% on large monitors) I never noticed it. Very strange little bug - and it would tend to confirm that it’s related to the way displays try to optimize text.

Oh! Now I know what you guys are talking about. The problem is a combination of two things: one, Microsoft apparently did not design certain fonts to be used at smaller font rendering sizes, and, two, Firefox uses two different font rendering modes depending on font sizes to try and compensate.

However, there is a workaround. The easiest is to change what Firefox considers a “small” font size. Go to about:config and change “gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size” to 17 instead of 15, and then restart.

You can also do a lot more tweaking of DirectWrite in about:config–just search for “font_rendering.” And, of course, you can turn off hardware acceleration altogether in Options > Advanced > General–though I don’t recommend it.

Is this the Hot Potato of SDMB threads? How many times has this thread been moved from one forum to another so far?

Windows Registry editing fixed the font thickness issue for me perfectly, we can tune the font thickness/darkness by calibrating FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA value to between 150 and 190 hexadecimal( 336 to 400 decimal )

• START -> RUN -> REGEDIT
  • search for FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA by keying " Ctrl F " ( will automatically take us to CurrentUser\ControlPanel\Desktop path)
  • double-click mouse on FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA enter anything between 150 and 190 hexadecimal.(the Lower the value, the thicker the fonts.)
  • close the REGEDIT tool
  • LOGOFF and then LOGON

Now all the fonts are very thick & very dark in Chrome Browser.

But we must make sure that ClearType smoothing is enabled in Windows( controlPanel -> personalization -> appearance -> Effects -> ClearType smooth check [ ticked box ] )

OR alternately in RegEdit …

FONTSMOOTHING=2
FONTSMOOTHINGTYPE=2
FONTSMOOTHINGORIENTATION=1 for LCD-screen, 0 for CRT-screen

OK, you got me!

I tried Amateur Barbarian’s suggestion, didn’t see any change at all, and then came across this post. It took about two seconds before I realized I’d been had! :smack:

I suggest you check with the Fontcaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MXYab-_Zs8