Wanna name my kitten?

He’s been home for almost two days, but we can’t decide on a name. I like song names, like Tennessee Jed or Ginseng Sullivan. In that spirit, my husband suggests Poster Nutbag. I have altered my will to ensure that this will not take place even over my cold, dead body. More reasonable contenders are Toby, Nebby, or Itchy.

He’s five months old, but I think he’s going to be a very mellow fellow when he wears out his kitten energy. He’s black, with white tipped paws (not big enought to properly be called mittens), a white heart-shaped collar, and a white isoceles triangle on his nose. He looks like a Puritan (Increase? Cromwell?) or maybe Amish (Ebenezer? Scylla?). He was originally found in a dumpster (Oscar’s such a cliche). He likes eating and capnip (Farley? Belushi?); he hates baths.

You should name your cat ‘Spud’.

Isn’t Spud taken?

I favour totally un-catlike names.

A friend of mine had a cat called Keith.

So how about ‘Alan’, or ‘Derek’.

I like the puritan names, since he looks like a puritan. The only one I can pull off the top of my head is “Cotton,” though. Besides “Increase,” that is. I’m partial to “Temperance,” but consider it a girl name.

Noodle.

If you do go with a Puritan name, I suggest you avoid “Cromwell” if you have any Irish Catholic friends. They’re still pissed, with good reason IMHO.

I’d go with Otto, the Simpsons Character who can occaisionaly be found in a dumpster. The two different O sounds will be easy for your kitten to remember and associate with himself.

I’ve recently decided that if I ever get another black cat, I’d name him Blacula or Inky.

Pixel.

SARS.

Dire.

Radar. (esp if he has big ears)

SCSI (pronounced scuzzy)

ok, i’ll stop now…

Ooooh, Derek! My favorite album is “Layla” by Derek and the Dominoes, so it would be a fitting homage.

Temperence does not fit his personality. Thus, Increase could really fit his personality if he starts to put on weight.

I’m the granddaughter of one of those Professional Full-Time Irish-Catholic Americans, so Cromwell would actually have a certain black humor appeal to it. And I can sing “Oliver’s Army” to him all the time. But maybe Milton would be more sensitive.

Nope, Inky, Otto, Noodle, and Blacula are all great cat names, but they just…don’t fit him.

Maybe ‘Eric’ would be appropriate too, then.

Call him “Lumpy”.

Like Beaver Cleaver’s sidekick.

Tennesee Tuxedo? You could just call him Tux.

Ooh—interesting! I did a google search on “black and white cat names,” and it came up with this article on Giant Pandas.

meng shi shou (beast of prey) and maoxiong (catlike bear) are kinda cool…

Well, my darling Sugaree (sorry, could’t help myself there)

What the world does not need are more pets with uncreative hippie names. If I had a dollar for every cat named Poster Nutbag I’ve known, I’d be a millionaire.

I always thought that if I had a cat I’d call him “Diamond-Eyed Jack” (You know, Crazy cat peekin’ through a lace bandanna,
Like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eye jack.)

A cat will always make sure that if a pen or pencil is on the table it will end up on the ground.

I recomend.

“Entropy”

From dictionary.com -

1. For a closed thermodynamic system, a quantitative measure of the amount of thermal energy not available to do work(our cats sleep a lot).

2. A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.

3. A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.
    (I love that one)

4. The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity. (Why the pen must be knocked of the table).

We have two cats, Stormy and Shadow. Stormy is a little guy that is full of himself. Shadow is a long haired grey cat that likes to follow you around.

As the owner of Sparky, Bubbles, Kiddo and Dusty, I offer …

**Phineas Taylor, **named for circus leader P.T. Barnum, who coined the phrase “There’s a sucker born every minute.” Every cat knows of at least one sucker!

**Twinkletoes, **in honor of the white-tipped paws. (Though rather catlike, I confess.)

**Browning Ferris, ** in honor of being found in the Dumpster. (BFI is probably the USA’s largest waste hauler.)

Sugaree the Second.

That’s my kitty! She’s on my lap right now with her sister, Dot. Other names: Fuz & Smudge for little cuties, Belladonna for sleek beauties, and Hank for a big, fat, orange kitty.

Cat

The damn thing won’t come when you call it, anyway…

This is getting printed out and going onto the refrigerator until my husband gets over it.

Pixel is seriously cute, and Entropy could describe any cat-- that one’s brilliant. He’s just plain not a Lumpy, nor is he an elegant, disdainful Meng Shi Shou or Maoxiong. My mom-in-law also suggested Tennessee Tuxedo. Radar fits right now because his ears are huge, but he may grow into them. Phineas Taylor fits because he started working us the minute we walked into the room at the shelter.

I forgot to describe his coolest attribute. If examined very closely in bright sunlight, he’s striped. Black on black velvet stripes.

We have an idea–Jeoffry.

I used to have the best cat. She came everytime we called her, albeit slowly.

I’m not holding this one up to that standard though.