Watching Briar qualifiers in a pub

Decided to take the afternoon off. Stoped at one of my favourite pubs. Watching the page qualifier for the Briar, waiting for a blizzard to come through.

Pint, stones, and a blizzard. Doesn’t get more Canadian.

Northern Ontario just conceded 4th end to the Wildcard1 team for one point.

WildCard now sitting 3 on 5th end.

Northern Ontario has hammer shot.

Looking at two different draws to the button, past a lot of guards.

Didn’t score, but nicked the button so WildCard only scores 1.

Second for Northern Ontario looks like Hugh Grant in his youth.

And Northern Ontario does a takeout and freeze and finally scores with the hammer!

Prithee, kindly enlighten the benighted who aren’t in the pub with you and presumably lack context because of their great misfortune in being non-Canadians.

Google only wants to advertise apartment complexes to me when I ask it.

I believe he speaks of Curling. The Sweeping and such.

Interesting glimpse of the Google algorithm at work.

I type in “The Briar” and get a page full of hits about the Tim Hortons Briar.

https://www.curling.ca/2023brier/

I guess Sergey and Larry know where I live.

Blizzard?
checks Regina weather
Huh. We’ve got ‘light snow’ now and ‘periods of snow’ overnight in our forecast, and certainly no scary red blizzard warning bars on the Environment Canada forecast page.

I hypothesize that you guys down there must have done something wrong.

Did you notice that you (consistently) spell it differently than the actual name of the event? I google “The Brier” and get the same results as you, approximately.

OTOH, if you spelled it that way for Google and they still knew what you meant, it may be about where you are.

Fair point. I tried the orthodox spelling and got even more curling sites.

Sergey and Larry know where I live.

SaskAlerts cancelled it about 20 minutes ago. Just a light snow so far.

Blizzard, yes. We’re getting it now, in southern Alberta, where we’re expecting four to six inches of snow. It’s predicted to move east.

If it wasn’t snowing so much, I might head off to a favourite pub too. As it is, I’m planting some seeds in pots. After all, winter will eventually end, and I hope to have plants to put outdoors.

Dreamer!

Truly, an assertion that under the circumstances requires a cite.

I’m optimistic.

I’m reminded of the joke about the city slicker who is talking with a grizzled old farmer while a blizzard rages outside. “Think it’ll stop snowing?” asks the slicker of the farmer.

“Well, it always has.”

Oh, you’re watching here too? (Damn blizzard caused my incoming flight to be delayed by about a couple hours last night. Didn’t get home until around 2:00 A.M.)

Anyway, apropos of this thread and the tournament:

Interesting side story to the Brier; a local man, and curling enthusiast, was fortunate to find a spot to play for team Nunavut. And helped them to their first win at the brier!

The Nunavut team found they got a ton of unexpected local support. Because this gentleman’s day job was as a math teacher at a city high school!

It started with just his students, then their parents, and spread from there to the whole city! It’s been a ton of fun!