Water instead of toilet paper?

This one was a little hard to come up with a title for, so I just came out with it. :wink: In fact, I moved it to GQ from IMHO.
I’ve had a couple people tell me that using paper causes, or at least worsens, hemorrhoids and that one should use water. Like the Muslims, maybe.
I don’t discount the idea, but I do wonder if there’s any proof. And how would one go about it here in the US? I know that Japan and some other countries can have water squirters in their toilets, but those aren’t common here.
Your jokes may be laughed at, but will then be quickly scoffed at.
Peace,
mangeorge
BTW; I am serious, being a hemorrhoid sufferer myself. It sucks.

Check out www.washlet.com . Japanese toilet-maker Toto is just starting a big ad campaign to sell their “washlets” in the US.

Note: there’s minor nudity on the site. That’s how they got in the news, they wanted to put the ads up at Times Square.

Well, now. I’m going to have to have a look at that.
Thanks.

You could just get a diaper sprayer (made for spraying off cloth diapers before they’re thrown in the washing machine): here’s one. It comes with an double adaptor thingie that lets you hook it right up to the water valve that feeds the toilet. It would be considerably less spendy than a washlet!

What is it about the paper that irritates the hemorrhoids? Would those flushable wet wipes for adults be an option? Or you could switch to cloth and get some nice, soft flannel.

I think the product you’re looking for is a bidet.

The washlet hoses you down (up?) and dries you off, with heated water yet. And a warm seat. And sanitizes itself.
Wiping with paper, or probably with any cloth, is irritating. I wonder if that irritation aggravates the tender tissue itself.
Maybe a doctor will weigh in.

Ah, well, if you want to get all fancy :wink:

Can’t help it. My name is mangeorge, and I am a gadget freak. :wink:
Anyway, it’s “proctologist”. That’s the word I was grasping for up there.
Is there a proctologist in the house?

Oddly enough I spotted in the Google ads on my email page yesterday an advert for a paperless toilet.
I’m intrigued now and can be fairly sure it will never be seen again.

As I suspected, gone forever.
However there is this

Looks pretty grimy to me. Yuck!

That’s the same one, I think, linked by riker1384 in post #2.
Actually, it’s pretty sano. Far more so, I would think, than wiping.
Prices range, depending on the model, from $369 to $729.
Not cheap, eh? Gotta wait till I pay off my iPhone. :wink:

Forgot to mention, this device solves the “front to back” v “back to front” dilemma faced by women everywhere.

We have Toto toilets where I work (hint: the company name is in this thread) with washlet-style retro-fitted seats. IMHO, they are great. They’re comfortable, adjustable, and they work. To put it delicately, they do much better than toilet paper at handling tough clean-up jobs, as for example the aftermath of drinking Guinness…

I think they make sense. They use a bit of extra electrical power, but that is more than balanced by not needing toilet paper, which I think is a waste of resources. I remember a backpacking trip I once did in the early spring, where I had the opportunity to “clean” myself with snow. Not only was it completely recycleable/biodegradable, it was remarkably refreshing and not the least bit cold!

As I occasionally suffer from problems with the “H” thing, I found out that when I was travelling in Japan, that the toilets there were great. They made everything feel better.

However, wouldn’t they use up more water? From an environmental standpoint are you robbing Peter to clean Paul’s behind?

:smiley: Good one!
I’d install a low-flush toilet to compensate.
Would the “low” button on a dual flush toilet be adequate? For solids, but no paper? I think paper is the big offender in house-to-street sewer pipes.

As far as water goes, keep in mind that the manufacture of toilet paper (or any paper) uses water. Aren’t paper plants the ones with stacks that put out the huge plumes of steam? Or maybe that’s something else. Also these things would reduce the effort required to treat the water, to get rid of the TP. In any case I think it’s a really minor issue.

They don’t use a lot more water. Even a strenuous cleaning takes mebbe an extra quart or two. Heating the seat seems to be done with recirculated hot water. Making toilet paper takes water, power, chemicals (especially bleach), and so forth.

Everything is a toss-up in dealing with ecology. Cloth diapers versus paper? Glass versus aluminum? Nuclear versus coal? When you talk about human activity, everything has an outsized impact on the environment. You then have to ask which options have the least long-term impact, which ones we can optimize, etc.