Watermelon: slice as needed or cube the entire melon?

I should clarify that ‘throwing out’ usually means ‘composting’ at my house, if that makes you feel any better.

Throwing out means the chickens get it here, but it still bothers me.

I vote for cubing the entire watermelon.

Perfect post-avatar pairing, there.

I’ve been impressed so far this summer with the quality of the watermelons I’ve purchased. To me there are two types of watermelons; perfect delicious melons, and shit. Last year my melons were 50/50. This year so far I’m batting 1000.

I’ve been pretty lucky this year too. Except of course, when we were having 20 people over for our Christmas in June celebration. I bought two watermelons - one for the party and one for me for the week. The day before the party I cut up the watermelon. I halved it and much to my dismay there was that weird yellow crack thing in the center of the melon. I tried salvaging the melon around it, but there wasn’t enough and it didn’t taste all that great. So luckily, I had the other melon. I cut that one open and it was pale in color and the white rind part was really thick. It wasn’t worth the work of cutting it up. So the deer back in our woods had 2 melons to feast upon. I went back to Sam’s Club and bought two more. They were delicious.

I cut slices as needed, but I like chewing on the rind and spitting the seeds, so no seedless for me.

That’s what we do as well, although it really depends on the size of the melon relative to the size of the bowl we use to hold the melon pieces.

Most large melons end up halved, with half going into the bowl as pieces, and half being plastic-wrapped and stored until we eat what’s in the bowl. Smaller melons are often just chunked up in their entirety because their pieces fit entirely within the bowl.