Web page not found, but what's this?!

I’m only getting this on my work computer. I try to go to a web site, it can’t find the page and I get the standard “The page cannot be displayed” screen, but then it switches to this http://xml.overture.com/d/search/p/igetnet/html/domainlander/?Keywords=boards.straightdope.com%2Fsdmb%2Fshowthread.php%3Fs%3D . And it’s difficult–if not impossible to back out of this thing. I’ve run spybot and adaware, I don’t have any viruses (at least nothing that Norton is detecting.) And I don’t get this anywhere but my desktop at work (which is running W2KPro, by the way, with all the current updates and patches and other things Uncle Bill says I should have.) Also, it doesn’t just happen when I’m in the SDMB, it’ll happen at other sites, too, on occasion. Anybody ever seen this before?

You might check this in your browser settings. Sometimes when you get a 404 error you can be redirected to a Search page. MS is pretty good at redirecting to MSN but but it can be done by the website as well. Maybe your settings were changed without you knowing about it.Go to View>Explorer Bar>Search ( or Control +E) and a side bar should pop up on the left side of your screen. I have set mine for Google and you can select from a number of them if you click the custom tab in the top right.

It could be your proxy server at work that is doing the redirecting. Your proxy server is what is actually making the requests out to web sites on the internet and when you have an invalid url, the proxy server generates the the message you listed or something similar to it. Most proxy servers would leave it at that, but I have heard that some can be configured to redirect you to a different page.

You may want to talk to your network administrator about this and see what he says.

Thanks, Toddly, I checked that out and it was set to Microsoft–not that weird one that keeps taking over my browser. I reset it just to see if that makes a difference next time.

And Dragwyr, if it were the proxy server, wouldn’t it effect all of the computers here at work and not just mine?

Well, you didn’t exactly say that now, did you?

Seriously…

If it were me, I would try a couple different browsers and see if the same thing happens. If you are using IE, then try Netscape, Opera and Mozilla browsers. If it only does this in IE, then it’s an IE config problem. If ALL of them do it, then it could be something on your PC.

Hope this helps. Keep us informed.

Sorry I wasn’t clearer on the description of the problem. But thanks for the help, Dragwyr, I’ll poke around some more and see what I can do. :slight_smile: