Weird Video Game Questions You Have

Seriously? All you need to do in Oblivion/Skyrim/ESO (no, Zenimax, that is not a spoiler) is go to the character view screen and zoom out. My, don’t your legs look trim and attractive (or furry/scaly if you’re a Khajit/Argonian).

This one might sound totally offbase, but I wonder whether Blizzard consulted an economist before implement their auction-house system in Diablo 3. I’ve only got a passing grasp of microeconomics and economic history, but I could see the fatal flaw with the AH in Diablo 3: there were far too few money sinks and very little to spend gold on after a certain point in the game, which meant you had nothing to do with it other than spend it on auction-house items. The result was hyperinflation: even fairly common items were selling for millions of gold pieces, and rare items were going for hundreds of millions. The upshot of that was that people spent most of the game grinding for gold. If they actually did stumble upon a rare item, because so many of the items were class-based and could only be used by one of the five classes chances were they’d just sell it on the auction house for yet more gold. Worst of all, if you wanted to play the game without bothering with the auction house, you were at a marked disadvantage because you could always buy better gear than you could loot at your level (which you probably weren’t going to get anyway because of D3’s stingy drop rate). D3 became a gold-acquisition game rather than a dungeon-crawling game, and a lot of people gave up on it and actually went back to playing D2.

I think an economist would have looked at D3 for about a day or so and said, “If the money supply keeps increasing dramatically, the cost of items is going to increase proportionally, and that’s going to have a big effect on the game.” I know that eventually Blizzard came to their senses and introduced Loot 2.0 and dropped the auction house idea altogether, but by that point everybody had ceased to care, and a franchise that had had loyal followers who were willing to wait 12 years between D2 and D3 was pretty much dead. It just seems weird to me that Blizzard, who had seemed to get the economy balance right for so long in World of Warcraft, would drop the ball so pitifully on Diablo 3.

Gold inflation wasn’t the only problem, item inflation was too. There was no mechanism that would forcibly remove items from circulation either, so the average item power would steadily creep upwards, at the lower gear end stuff ended up getting cheaper and items that at one point would have been really nice eventually turned into vendor trash.
Still, if you look at D2 then the D3 AH kind of made sense, people would be trading items anyway, so having Blizzard provide a safe and convenient(where Blizzard get a cut in the case of the Real Money AH) way of doing that wasn’t a bad idea in principle.

…where inflation was so high that gold was literally worthless, and trade value was measured in vanishingly-rare runes or dozens of SoJs instead.

Nothing happened in D3 that didn’t also happen in D1 and D2. The addition of the auction house, as well as other things like the (first for the series) elimination of gold carry limits, was because it was expected. The only thing they failed to see coming was the psychological response to the formalized auction house.

With WoW, it’s even more obviously intentional. Like Diablo, it has no real checks on inflation. Bind-on-equip and server-wide material spawn rates only serve to slow it rather than prevent. WoW’s best check on inflation is bind-on-pickup making the ultimate equipment extremely difficult to barter for, thus there’s less pressure to explode massively, but it’s still continually inflating. They were adamant against doing this in Diablo, and its addition to Reaper of Souls is somewhat controversial; even then, it’s not going to be remotely on the same scale of logistical difficulty of integrating some random person into a high-difficulty raid fight.

Inflation is a feature rather than a bug; high inflation weights current rate of income over existing wealth, which is the only thing allowing newer players to compete economically with older ones.

I’m guessing this is referring to most FPSes where your feet are invisible even if you look straight down in first person view. And the only time they’re visible is in third person or if you have a kick attack. Arms are invisible except when holding weapons. Buttons push themselves. Only a few games do otherwise. Call of Cthulhu? I forget.

Not to mention that the auction house itself was the single biggest gold sink in Diablo 3. Every single time an item was sold, a fraction of its gold value disappeared, and as item prices rose, the amount that disappeared rose likewise. It wasn’t enough to completely stop inflation (for it to do that, each item would have to change hands an average of six or seven times), but it was at least something.

y can’t metroid crawl?

I once spent a good hour in FO3 using the nuke gun to blow the shit out of myself. The funniest ones were when it wound up throwing me onto a roof or somesuch.

Hah, yes, I’ve done that. For that matter, fairly often when I’ve decided it’s time to stop playing I’ll equip the Fatboy or missile launcher and go on a rampage, sometimes ending with me blowing myself up on purpose.

Originally, the developers wanted to make Samus Aran crawl, but they couldn’t get the animation to look right. The solution was the ball morph.

Tomb Raider would let you hit the ground. It was more of a crunch than a splat, as I recall, unless you also landed on spikes. :slight_smile:

Of course Justin Bailey would have an answer to a Metroid question! :smiley:

Okay: In** “Alice: The Madness Returns,”** is there no way at all to skip a level? No way to call up a console? I have been stuck forever in the second side-scroller sequence. I just never got good at those things. I’ve been thinking I’m going to have to get a neighborhood kid over here or sumthin’.

Mirror’s Edge.

Bounties are tracked per hold, so crimes committed in Windhelm don’t make Winterhold guards angry, and vice versa.

I was able to break one quest because this is incorrect. Some corrupt guards made the mistake of framing me for murder. I responded with actual murder, and I lost my bounty when the last witness died.

Am I the only person who plays Tomb Raider just to make Laura die in as many ways as possible?

All the Halo games show your feet moving nicely if you look down at them. Many button presses and interactions also show your hands involved as well (but not all of 'em).

My dumb video game question: why the heck was The Immortal such a frustratingly difficult video game, even in the era of punishingly difficult games? Did anyone ever legitimately beat this game without the strategy hints given at a rate of $2.99 per minute by calling the 900 number in the instruction booklet?

In Stair Dismount, the whole point of the game is die the most violent death by falling as possible.

MY advice is that if you can’t get through the second side scroller level just give up. The fifth or sixth side scroller level is one thousand times harder.

Why would there be a way to skip a level?

IIRC in Skyrim they fixed that but the behaviour has been observed with chickens. Informing cluckers !
However if you do kill the last witness to a crime in Skyrim the bounty should get lifted, in theory. The only problem of course is that typically the process of murderizing a witness running away will be witnessed by someone else. Or a chicken.