Weirdest names you've ever heard

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, my oral surgeons were Dr. Fear and Dr. Hitchcock.

I was recently in the hospital, and one of the nurses there is named Uganda. I asked her how she came to be named for a whole country. She said when she was born, her parents didn’t know they were about to have twins. Her dad wanted to name them something unique and African, so the girls were named Uganda and Zimbabwe. She said she has heard of one other woman named Uganda, and no others named Zimbabwe. I told her I thought that was pretty cool.

I remember seeing an article on Reddit where somebody scanned a newspaper birth announcement thing and somebody a decade ago decided to actually name their child Ledasha, you know like that ancient old meme where you’re suppose to pronounce it “Ledasha” but it’s spelled “Le-A”. Which doesn’t surprise me that somebody at some point thought it would be a good game after it wandering through the grapevine for decades.

Girl named Latrina.

Dan

I once had a student named Simba.

Ima Hogg was a philanthropist and collector of the arts in Texas during the last century.

2 kids with same name, one named Sterling the other Sturlyng(ffs!)

I grew up in Houston, and I can remember when Ima Hogg was still alive and a revered local celebrity. Amazingly, I don’t recall anyone making fun of her name—at least not openly. It was a good example of how you can get desensitized to any odd name if you hear it enough.

It wasn’t until I left Texas that I heard the urban legend that Ima had a sister named Ura (she didn’t).

These aren’t that weird, but they’re what I’ve got.

I’ve known two different people named Jo(h)n Johnson (I don’t know/remember how they spelled their first name). I also was in a class with someone named Nick Nixon, which the teacher commented on, and before that instant I hadn’t realized “Nixon” was likely from “Nick’s son” as with Johnson. So the parents of the latter might be forgiven if they hadn’t realized it, while I question the sanity of the parents of the former who should definitely have known what they were doing.

Both John Johnsons I knew somewhat from the same hobby, although at rather different times and places. One of the people I was connected with in that hobby, probably in response to giggling at one of the John Johnsons, claimed he knew people named Tracy Tracy and Richard Fitzwell.

I once worked with a woman whose first name was Kenya, and Tanzania Williams played basketball at Bowling Green before serving on the women’s hoops staff at Ohio State. So the former British East Africa inspired several parents’ choices.

My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Visconsin, I vork in the lumberyards dere…

I recently read a Facebook post featuring a rhyming couplet followed by the two words “Willowy Whisper”. I assumed this was the name of the quoted song or poem, but discovered upon Googling that Willowy is a young woman who writes Christian fiction.

During my stint in retail, I once processed a card payment for a nice girl whose surname was Allman-Hore. Had to stifle my reaction when I saw that on her card.

Then there’s Gaylord Silly.

I know both a William Williams Jr and a James Jameson. Both of whom use a contraction of their first names exclusively.

While watching the 49ers/Eagles game tonight, the announcers mentioned a player named Brandon Aiyuk. His name isn’t that weird, but it’s pronounced (roughly) “ah-yook,” and it reminded me of one of my all-time favorite names in sports: Junior Ah You, a defensive lineman for the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL in the 1970s and early '80s. He was one of the best players in CFL history, and that is just an awesome name. :smiley:

I’ve known a few Kenyas and a young man named Zaire. His mother is West African, I think she just liked the sound of Zaire. It is a cool name.

Not only that but Smoot ended up working at the National Bureau of Standards where he could standardize the smoot.

Has anybody mentioned Engelbert Humperdink? My MP is named Anthony Housefather (a friend of my wife’s always called him Horsefeather).

There was once an election in Montreal and the two candidates were named Hogg and Cauchon (cauchon is French for hog).

If you’re talking about the British singer, that’s a stage name. He took it from the late 19th-early 20th century German composer, who is moderately well known in the classical music world.

Whether or not Englebert Humperdinck was a weird name in 19th-century Germany, I have no idea.

A former Governor of Wisconsin and former Secretary of Health and Social Services (under W. Bush) is Tommy Thompson.