"We'll Meet Again........ (Johnny Cash)

…don’t know where, don’t know when, but we’ll meet again some sunny day."

This is the last tune on Johnny Cash’s CD American IV: The Man Comes Around, and every time I listen to it, I get blurry-eyed. The reason is because the song puts me in mind of an old WWII song by Vera Lynn called Auf Wiedersehen, Sweetheart.

This post won’t mean anything to a lot of you, but the Vera Lynn tune was my late Mother and Father’s favorite song while my Dad was stationed in Germany during WWII, and I know that Johnny Cash also spent some time there.

What’s my point? Well, I think our Man In Black is telling us he may be leaving us soon, and he doesn’t want us to be sad about it.

I saw no reason to post this in Cafe Society, but if the mods wish to move it there, that would be fine. Basically, I just wanted to write this down because I miss my Mom and Dad. Today is their anniversary, and they loved each other very much.

Sorry if the subject led you astray, but thanks for reading this, if you did.

Quasi

“Give my love to Rose,
Please won’t you Mister…”

Thanks, John

Yikes man, from reading your thread title, I honestly thought the Man in Black had gone to see the Man in White for real this time.

Carry on.

I thought Vera Lynn sang We’ll Meet Again—I’ve never heard of Auf Wiedersehen, Sweetheart. Wasn’t WMA Vera’s theme song?

I had the same exact scare. Don’t do that!

I am sorry. Please excuse me.

Q

Hmmm… I don’t know the other song, but We’ll Meet Again is a Vera Lynn song. It is at the end of Dr. Strangelove, among other places.

Also, on Pink Floyd’s The Wall there is a song about “We’ll Meet Again” called “Vera”:

Well crikeys, does this mean that now I know who the guys talking about on Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”, when he says “Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn…?”.
Quasi, your post is also timely because I head 'Auf Wiedersehen" plenty of times during the Ferris-Palooza showing of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off last weekend.

GaK. I was just about to post this when I noticed the tail end of joshmaker’s post. I wasn’t the first to make the Floyd connection.

**Uhh, doesn’t “auf wiedersehen” means, roughly, “see you again”. (“Wiedersehen” — “to meet again”). They’re the same song.

Unless I’m being whooshed, of course. Won’t the first time. :slight_smile:

There is a completely different song called Auf Wiedersehen—I have a 1930s record of British singer Al Bowlly singing it. Was We’ll Meet Again ever translated into (or from) German?

Isn’t “We’ll Meet Again” the song they play at the end of Dr. Strangelove? Or am I Clueless Archergal today?

If so, it has rather creepy connotations for me.

Yes, that is the song used at the end of Dr. Strangelove. And the Byrds did a version as the last song on their first album.