What are you doing for Lent?

I have a very much less complicated LotH that I’m going to do (there is no “try”) this Lent. It’s just morning, midday, evening, and vespers.

Which overly confusing little black book do you use, MissMossie?

Take my joke, will you?

Fine, then. I’m giving up Czarcasm.

Very Dumb Question: Is Lent primarily observed by Catholics? Do Protestants (other than Episcopalians) observe it much today?

Yeah, pretty dumb.

I’m gonna do the same thing I always do** and give up sweets. No candy, cookies, cakes, pancakes. or anything that’s made with sugar. Now I just need to finish off this box of Girl Scout cookies…

**BTW, not actually Catholic, raised agnostic but I just think Lent is a neat idea.

I’ve been thinking about observing Lent for years even though I’m not Christian because I like the idea about taking a set amount of time to contemplate your spiritual life. One of my other not-Christian friends observed Ramadan a couple of years ago for the same reason.

I like that idea a lot better than giving something up. To me, that seems like something you’d do in the winter rather than the spring. Combine that with my comments above and I’ve come up with what I’m going to do this year: I’m going to spend 30 minutes a day outside contemplating the natural world. It’ll reconnect me with my spirituality and get me out of the house.

tremorviolet - Pancakes have sugar? Or just the syrup?

StG

I think they do, they’re kinda sweet even without the syrup. But pancakes with syrup are a waste of time anyway :wink: so they’re definitely off the menu.

I go to the United Church of Christ and we observe Lent.

The usual stuff - trying to get to daily mass. But to start with, I’m off tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) to Rome and I have several churches/shrines to which I’ll be making a pilgrimage.

I’m very glad for this thread. I was raised Catholic but left the church more than 25 years ago. I’ve belonged to churches of other denominations and am currently very active in a Presbyterian church.

Lent is THE liturgical season that tugs at me spiritually, but I have a hard time making it fit with my beliefs. I just don’t get the whole blood sacrifice “Jesus died for my sins” model. “Offering up suffering” doesn’t have any meaning for me.

What IS meaningful for me is the model of exile and yearning for “home.” (I love the Isaac Watts hymn paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm, which renders the last few lines as, “There would I find a settled rest, While others go and come; No more a stranger or a guest, But like a child at home.”)

So, this year, I really feel the need to observe Lent but don’t know how to fit it into my spirituality.

I’m a United Methodist. In my observation, most Methodists do not give something up for Lent. It is not unusual to add a Bible study or a midweek worship/ prayer service or something, and special services for Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday are common–if often poorly attended. It is also not unusual for services during Lent to be more traditional, have more liturgy, and generally be kind of more solemn, although on the other hand, special dramas during services are not unusual either. Certainly Methodists do not generally fast (during Lent or any other time). I was kind of surprised by the amount of emphasis that was put during the Children’s Sermon this week at my “new” church on giving something up, or adding something like learning a prayer. So, there may be some variation from congregation to congregation, as well as perhaps from region to region.

“new”–church I’ve attended more often than not for about the last 6 months, since I moved to the area.

Hmmm… this year I think I will try adding something as my previous Lenten promises (where I took something away) didn’t work very well. LiLi will find this hilarious, but I think I will try to arrive on time to places (I am notorious for being 10 minutes late to everything). Hopefully this commitment will help me discard any unnecessary duties I pile on myself and give me more time for spiritual reflection. That’s the goal anyway.

I’ve been reading this thread and contemplating what to say. I didn’t observe Lent for a long time, but have been pretty good about it for the last 10 years.

Nava, are you sure you’re not me? (Although I only talk to Mom about 15 minutes a week; I must be the bad daughter. :smiley: )

The last year has been very stressful, workwise, so I’ve been thinking about being more disciplined in general, especially around diet and exercise; better life balance, in other words. Kind of fits with your thoughts of being living life more intentionally, stargazer. So, somehow, I’ll be working on healthier structure. I keep finding things I’ve wanted to do that haven’t been done - for no really good reason.

Also, I’ll try to be better about daily prayer and meditation. I find this site really helpful for that. Just need to be better about actually getting there. (I can get to the Dope every day; should be possible to get there too.)

And I’ll be thinking about you and Mr. Lissar a lot, LiLi. :slight_smile:

GT

Hahahahahahaha! You’re going to arrive on time! Hahahahahhhaha!..

wipes tears of mirth away

Sorry. QD can be up to four hours late for things. It’s amazing.

Any and all denominations welcome, of course. Wow, this has grown while I’ve been at work. Lent is primarily observed by denominations that are liturgical and follow the church year, which measures the year in terms of the major events in the life of Christ. Advent, Christmas, the Ascension, Easter. Lent is the period of preparation for Holy Week, Good Friday, and Easter.

We’re Candidates, not catechumens, so we stay for the service. We don’t do RCIA during Mass, so there’d be nothing else for us to do after the first ten minutes of church.

That’s beautiful. There are books which have for me sharply brought home the ache which tells me, “Home is not here.”

For you, maybe, instead of focusing on the penitential side of Lent, you could think of it as a time to focus on things that are essential, and on gratitude?

SpazCat, that sounds like a lovely idea.
I’ll pray for both of our vocation-discerners. How exciting!
And now, because this is my thread, and as possible Lenten thought-provoking stuff, I’m going to quote from the novel I’ve been browbeating people into reading for months, and which is one of the very best books I’ve ever read.

*"This is an important thing, which I have told many people, and which my father told me, and which his father told him. When you encounter another person, when you have dealings with anyone at all, it is as if a question is being put to you. So you must think, What is the Lord asking of me in this moment, in this situation? If you confront insult or antagonism, your first impulse will be to respond in kind.

But if you think, as it were, This is an emissary sent from the Lord, and some benefit is intended for me, first of all the occasion to demonstrate my faithfulness, the chance to show that I do in some small degree participate in the grace that saved me, you are free to act otherwise than as circumstances would seem to dictate. You are free to act by your own lights. You are freed at the same time of the impulse to hate or resent that person. He would probably laugh at the thought that the Lord sent him to you for your benefit (and his), but that is the perfection of the disguise, his own ignorance of it."*
-Gilead, Marilynne Robinson

I’m going to try to keep that in mind all the time during this Lent. It’s very freeing.

Why would they leave before Communion? Not having been baptized (or had First Communion) doesn’t make the final blessing any less important. Just curious, a lot of customs are completely different for US and Spanish Catholics*: is that what would be done in your parish?

• I was stunned when I found out I was supposed to “register” with the parish - don’t get me started on the amount of paperwork that was required in order to become a reader. In Spain if the priest wants a reader and none of the usual suspects is in he just asks before Mass “anybody wants to read?” And I was one for years before receiving Confirmation, which my US parishes required.

Typically catechumens leave before the celebration of the Eucharist. At least in the States. I don’t know about Canada.

I will be, too…it’s very heartening to hear that people still think about going into the religious life!

Most pancake recipes I’ve seen include a tablespoon of sugar.

I’m not a big church person and have never observed (or even thought about Lent), but today I pledge to refrain from even visiting the SDMB for 2 full weeks and to reduce my Internet usage to checking e-mails and looking at news pages for no more than 15 minutes per day.

That isn’t 40 days, but I will reexamine my pledge at the end of the second week and consider another 2 weeks.

This message board isn’t the best use of my time, but I’m glad I saw this thread and thank others for giving me this idea.

I will also go to church on or before Easter.

• Peace and love, Carnac

Folks who are in RCIA will leave will leave after the liturgy of the word to continue study separately with their RCIA coordinator. That’s why it’s doubly exciting when they get to stay for the whole Mass on Holy Saturday. I forgot Lissla and hubby are baptized.

We are supposed to register but I’ve certainly attended churches for years and never done so. I have in my current church, but part of the reason is they are planning on twinning churches here and there was a push for really good numbers to justify keeping us open!