What bad things might happen if same-sex couples get married?

Welcome to the SDMB in Special English! Our first post is a re-rendering of this OP created just for magellan01, since he seems to be having trouble getting the gist of the OP.

Some people think it would be bad for society if same-sex couples could get married in the United States. Some of these people think it would be a bad idea to let same-sex couples form any kind of legal partnership. Other people think it would be fine to let same-sex couples form legal partnerships, but they do not think this should be called “marriage.”

I have discussed this with many people and I do not believe that it would be bad for society. I would like to know why other people believe it WOULD be bad. If you believe same-sex marriage is harmful to society, I would like to know why. Specifically, I would like to know what you think will happen if same-sex couples are allowed to form legal unions and call it “marriage.”

Thank you.

I love the idea of VoA Special English, in a good way.

Nobody?

Aww come, isn’t anyone even gonna try?

C’mon, magellan, I’m interested to see how you dodge this one.

Wait, no, I’m not, I’m sick of all your intellectually dishonest bigoted bullshit. Got confused there for a sec.

Frankly, I’m firmly in the pro-SSM camp, no surprise, but I’m really finding these threads tiresome. He’s not going to answer the question. Ever. He’s going to dance around it like Roy Scheider playing Bob Fosse. He’s going to jump from point to point all around the question, but never land square on it. He has no answer, is the problem, and trying to get him to admit that he has no answer is not going to work.

Ah, The PIt. How nice.

Do you really think the chickenshit way you handled this is going to increase the likelihood of me responding? Sorry, son. That’s now two threads you have in the Pit concerning me. I’m flattered, but not interested. But do go ahead and enjoy yourself. I’ll be in that other thread waiting for you to back up your assertions.

Do you really think you should be given a pass on this? Comical.

I notice you’re not stating what you think will happen if SSM is legalized. Funny how that makes him the chickenshit.

I officially assert that you know your position is indefensible and seek to deflect attention from it at all costs by asking questions of your own. I actually have evidence for this.

:smiley:

You’re hung up on the preamble when it’s irrelevant to his question - “If A, what bad result?” where A=SSM. If you have any, it should be easy enough to elaborate on what you think those might be. Saying “something bad might happen!” is not good enough, as that’s only an argument for not doing anything, ever.

jayjay, I know you’re right. This particular thread is mostly me blowing off steam, although I’ll be interested to see if he bothers to show up at all.

The original thread over in GD was in earnest, though. I was really hoping that if the OP was phrased as “tell me exactly what you think will happen” rather than “why do you support/oppose SSM” he might be able to come up with something other than his usual "the word ‘marriage’ is spesshull!’ drivel.

I can’t remember any elaboration or suggested list of portending dooms at all. Only some nebulous “something really really bad might happen some time”.

So, I vote it’s just bullshit wrapped in horse shit.

You saw my other pit thread concerning you? Did you pet my dog on the way out? Huh, did you? Why do you hate dogs?

Precious. You admit that you were being disingenuous in the other thread by pointing here. And I’m supposed to play along with your shennanigans? Nope. But since I am here, I will ask you again, to support the assertions you have made in your other OP.

Now let me go check if you’ve done so, that which is expected of anyone who starts a thread in GD. I tell ya, I’m on pins and needles in anticipation.

What double-dickery.

No, I left that thread alone. Period. I’ve lost a cat and two dogs. It’s tough. As poor form as it was for you to include others in that thread, I chose to give you a pass. As I do now.

Crafting that pit thread did reveal a lack of breeding on your part, so it was not without merit, albeit in an unintentional way. As does your post I’m replying to here.

Now, let me go check that other thread again to see how you defend the assertions you make.

His assertions are irrelevant. Would you need, for example, someone to argue in favour of drinking and driving in order for you to point out the potential consequences of it?

But what kind of bad things might happen if SSM is fully legalised?

I am one person that has an opinion about everythingI tend to crude about some.in the military i and most of my friends kept getting on by homosexuals .we only got paid once a month.so that was a big advantage for our friends the sexual deviates.I had to fight them while hitch hiking ,or going to the movies.if they (the homosexuals)pop some other male in the anus,or eat each others personal parts…if they want out of love for each other want to stay together thats their business.i havent heared of babies poppingout of any navels.or hairy ends of guts.isnt that why most people marry?for propagation?if a lesbion can make another lesbion (without use of someones pinis)pregnant.fine get married."go now and multiply"not for homosexuals.marrage is for propagation.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together … mass hysteria!

Look at the top of your screen. It says The BBQ Pit. If you’re looking for your fan club meeting, you’re in the wrong place.

If you want to play in the GD thread, fine. The OP made a specific request, which I have explained to you several times. Other posters understood this without requiring personal instruction.

If you want to continue playing the disingenuous pedant like you’ve done so many times before, I can’t stop you. However, you’ve been at it so long that you’re fooling no one (except, perhaps the unfortunate new member who wanders in and takes you at face value).

Now I’m going to go back to the GD thread, which I started because I was genuinely interested in getting answers to the question posed in the OP. As I said, I can’t stop you from threadshitting, although I really wish you’d find yourself a new hobbyhorse to ride so you’d stop bothering the same people over and over.

Even allowing for what appears to be a language barrier, I haven’t a fucking clue what you’re saying.

This was the result of editing?

Then what about people who simply can’t reproduce? A man and a woman get married. They want children, but simply can’t have any. If marriage is ONLY for procreation, then aren’t their marriages invalid? How about old people who have outlived their prime years?

I am having trouble with your story too. I’ve been in the military, and we didn’t have any, what was the phrase, “sexual deviates” bothering anyone. If they were there (and I’m sure they were around somewhere), I must have missed it. You seem to find them EVERYWHERE - the movies (I must have missed all that too), hitch hiking (be glad it wasn’t murderers instead). Better check under the bed. Might be one o’ them there faggots hiding under there.

In short, I think you are full of shit.