What do you call this thing, and where can I buy it?

It’s a fairly thick sheet of plastic or rubber, with long parallel cuts in it. You see them in grocery stores covering vertical regrigerators, or big loading dock doors in winter. The idea is you can rach through it to pull stuff through, but when it hangs indisturbed it provides a decent thermal barrier.

I want a very small one, to fit over a kitchen cabinet door. That’s where the cat litterbox is, and I figure it’ll do a decent job of keeping down the dust that the cats kick up.

Make one yourself, out of a rubber bath mat. Slice the little suction cups off with a razor blade, cut it up into strips.

However, I don’t think one of those will keep cat litter from spilling out onto the floor. They just keep out cold air, not solid matter. Does the floor of the store look cleaner on one side than the other? I don’t think so.

Or get one of those enclosed cat litter pans. Like the “Booda Loo Enclosed Litter Pan”.

http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?search=action&keywords=723503501293
How big is the cabinet?

You could check in your local restaurant supply house but I have a feeling you will be disappointed. AFAICR, what makes these plastic barriers work is not so much their physical insulating qualities but the airflow across them that provides a more effective barrier to air movement, the plastic merely serves as a guide for the column of air which does all the real work.

I’m interested in what kind of cabinet you are using as well. As a Kitchen designer I have tried all sorrts of things to accomodate pets and their assorted incoming and outgoing food products. Using a base cabinet for a litter box has mostly been rejected by my clients as being to messy, too hard to clean up, and it also gets a high eww factor for anything else stored in it (i.e. a drawer above with utensils)

It is a single cabinet with a drawer above it, and not connected to any other cabinetry. In the top drawer I only keep cat related stuff – scooper/sieve/shovel thing, a small whisk broom and dust pan, and some plastice bags to put the crap in.

An I know it won’t keep everything in. I’m hoping it will reduce the scattering of the litter, especially the very fine dust which drifts on the air currents for a while before settling.

I’ve had one try at making one, but the plastic I used is too thin. The bottom edges of the strips curl in toward each other, leaving fairly substantial gaps.

I don’t think my scissors are heavy enough to cut theough a much thicker sheet, but I have a razor knife somewhere.

Duck Duck Goose, thanks for the bath mat Idea. I may use it, but I’ll look around for a thicker transparent plastic sheet first. I want my cats to ba able to see through it instead of seeing solid wall. I’m not really sure whether this is strictly necessary, but I don’t want my cats wandering around looking for an alternative place to take a dump.

How about installing a regular cat door? The kind used to allow cats ingress/egress to/from the house. It may take a little ingenuity on your part to figure out how to install it on a cabinet, but at least they’re readily available and the right size. I haven’t seen one that’s see-through, but if the cats are used to their box being in the cabinet, it’s probably not an issue. They’ll go to where they’re used to finding their box, see something new, and investigate. They are cats, after all. Curiousity, and all that stuff.

Nice idea, but it won’t work. There’s not enough space for the door to swing because of the box inside the cabinet.

Besides, I rent. I can’t rebuild or cut anything up. I can staple a piece of plastic to the door frame from the inside because I can remove it with no visible damage.

I’ve tried different brands of cat-litter. Some do not spread dust at all! Unfortunately, those non-dusting kinds also are not very well at forming lumps. Urine stays loose-grained and so is less easy to scoop out.
Weigh the pro-s and cons yourself…

I also would advise the kind of litterbox that has a hood over it with a cat-flap. It’s a stand-alone thing that can be put everywhere in the house. I have one and all the odor and dust stay inside (requires more discipline cleaning, though).

If the cat still comes out of the litterbos with little grains of clay on her feet, try a loosely woven mat in front of the litterbox. All the grains stay in or under the mat.

I’ve seen the boxes with hoods, but not with a door flap too. I’ll look for one. That would be the perfect answer.

:: lifts cat, eh… cap to Boyo Jim::

You’re welcome, sir!