What is the best movie of the year (in your opinion)?

Depends on the genre ooooooooo…Pretensious Boy strikes again!).

Best all around movie: The Matrix

Best movie about getting laid: American Pie

Best cheesy animated: South Park

Best animated: Iron Giant (barely wins over Tarzan in double overtime…but it had a cooler story)

Best Sci Fi/action/martial arts/KICKING ASS: The Matrix (much better than Phantom Menance)

And before I get flamed, I AM a major SW fan, I was just really disapointed(sp) by PM…it needed editing as much as Eyes Wide Shut (braces for the flames).

Best movie of the summer: Sixth Sense…also Best thriller (so far…gonna check out Stigmata and Stir of Echos this week :))

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

The Blair Witch Project

I want to see Stir of Echoes but, now that I’m doing the grad school thing, don’t know when or if I’ll see anything ever again :slight_smile:

I saw The Sixth Sense and liked it but it didn’t stir up much emotion in me…it was just an enjoyable way to fill a couple hours.

I liked South Park alot.

mine would be:

Star Wars (of course)
6th Sense
the Matrix

i liked stigmata a lot too, but its not the best…

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

as all of your choices prove, this has been an incredibly lame year for movies…
having said that, i will nominate “The Phantom Menace” as best over the top movie, and “South Park” as the most fun

as for something serious or thoughtful, there was very little to chooswe form this year

Of the movies I’ve seen, I’ll have to say:
Sixth Sense
Entrapment
possibly Cruel Intentions

Sixth Sense-what a twist.
American History X.

I really hate to be a copycat, but I saw nearly every movie that came out this summer, and without a doubt Sixth Sense blew me away. I don’t want to give away the ending, but I will say that I’ve never left a theater where the audience was so stunned that no one said a word as they walked out. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Any magician can pull a rabbit out of a hat, show me one who can pull a hat out of a rabbit and I’ll believe.

I haven’t seen the Sixth Sense or Blair Witch, and probably won’t as I don’t do horror/suspense films. ( If I want suspense in my life, I just wonder where the money is gonna come in to pay for the next crop of bills that always seem to pop up.)

Phantom Menance, with all due respect, was very disappointing, although, I will say it was a visual buffet. You cannot have an Episode One and introduce a bajillion characters AND get in depth with them. The next one will be better, I’m sure.

I did lots of light hearted fair this summer:

Entrapment - Wait for video
Notting Hill - Cute, predictable.
Mickey Blue Eyes - This I liked even more because of the preposterity of it all. Anything set in NY and anything Mob-ish and anything with a british accent gets my vote.( It may be a wait for video for most folks, I saw if for free.)

I’m kind of glad to see that Will Smith bit the big one this summer with Wild Wild West. I like him, but every 4th of July he just cannot have a big hit. It’s just not fair.

My video pick of the summer - The Waking of Ned Devine. Something you can watch with the entire family and no one will be offended. (Set in Ireland: someone in the small coastal town won the big lottery and two guys set out to find out and schmooze the winner in hopes of getting on the winners goodside and get money. When the winner is found dead from a stroke with the winning ticket in their hand, these two guys decide to impersonate the dead guy to collect the money.)
I know I’ve seen a couple other flicks at the show and I cannot recall them at the moment.

I can’t believe more people haven’t mentioned Eyes Wide Shut. And *The Phantom Menace{/i]? Give me a break.

EWS gets my vote, followed closely by South Park.