What is the best movie of the year (in your opinion)?

its a hard choice but post what you think…

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

So far . . . Sixth Sense.

Damn that was good. I need to see it again.

“I’m surprised that you’ve never been told before, that you’re lovely, that you’re perfect, and that somebody wants you.” - Semisonic, f.n.p

The one that comes to my mind first is also The Sixth Sense.

I hate to be a copy-cat, but I have to go with The Sixth Sense too. I saw it twice already, and cried harder at the ending the second time. I love that movie.

“I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time…”

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

I’m a die-hard Star wars fan, so it’s no surprise. Anyone who says Blair Witch gets THWACK!ed by the Hand of Evil ™.

"No job’s too small, we bomb them all."
-Ace Wrecking Company

Usually, the “best films of the year” are released in the fall/winter, but so far:

Eyes Wide Shut
Election
Star Wars Episode One - The Phantom Menace
Bowfinger
Blair Witch Project

I’m still waiting for: Fight Club, American Beauty, Green Mile, and about four or five others I’ll remember after I click Submit Reply.

Slim pickins this summer.
Star Wars: Episode One: The Phantom Menace <-look likes a Windows pathway
Election
Sixth Sense

JMcC from SFCA
http://members.tripod.com/~weirdstuff/index.html <fixed link!

The Blair Witch Project
Sixth Sense
Bowfinger – hilarious, but a lot darker than the critics made out.

Sixth Sense

But on a more personal note

Mystery Men- It had all my favortie actors and William H Macy IS the Shoveler. I want Mr Furious flame jacket and his motorcycle

Sixth Sense, by far, for me.

trisha

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice - Albert Einstein

Lets see…

Star Wars Episode 1
–hey its Star Wars, it would have been tough for him to make something that I didn’t like.
The Sixth Sense
Awesome. Awesome. The kid was excellent, the story was twisty and fun, and the camera work was cool.
Red Violin
Intelligent, fun, engaging story. Follows a violin through its lifetime.
Election
Reese Witherspoon kicks major ass. As does Matthew Broderick in this one.
Iron Giant
Fun.

Ok movies I look forward to as being good this year.
The Messenger:Joan Of Arc
Man on the Moon
Green Mile
Breakfast of Champions
Felicia’s Journey
Mumford

thats about it.

pat

I get the feeling I’m going to get a lot of flak for this but I liked The Mummy better then Phantom Menace. Yeah, I know campy and not a serious movie and all but for some reason thought it was hilarious and action packed, what the Indiana Jones movies used to be like.

Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phanton Menace hands down.

Hmmm … now that I think about it. I haven’t seen any other movies this year in the theatre, except Blair Witch which was good but not great. But even if I had I would still pick Star Wars.

It’s bernard, just under new management

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Yah, go ahead. Give me crap, but I don’t like “serious” movies. I did love “Shakespeare in Love” though.

“Oooh, you are hairy like an-ni-mal”. Best line in the world plus I can do a good Russian accent for it.

I haven’t seen Sixth Sense (maybe I will now based on the high reviews seen here…), but I’ve gotta say The Thomas Crown Affair was the best I’ve seen this year, by far. Just a darn good movie.

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

I havnt seen sixth sense, or blair witch, or star wars ( I dont get out much-$$ for sitters y’know), but I thoroughly enjoyed ED TV.

I just saw Stir of echos. All I have to say is…Damn. Wow and I thought 6th sence was good. This is one that you can not miss!

Bad spellers of the world… UNTIE

I have been very disappointed with movies in the last few years. But I have to say that I thought Sixth Sense was great. It is the best movie I can remember seeing lately.

Pricciar,

I also just saw the Red Violin this week and I thought it was very good. I don’t think it will do well for mainstream viewers (don’t mean to sound snobby), but I really enjoyed. I thought it was very creative to include the tarot card interpretation throughout the violins journey and to replay the scene in the auction house.

StStella:
Yeah, I thought using the tarot scene as a frame for the story was an excellent idea. I also enjoyed how they would introduce new characters each time they returned to the auction scene.

pat

It’s a tie…Sixth Sense and South Park.