Worst Movie of the Summer?

We’ve already had a best movie thread, so I thought we should also have one to bitch about what movies were the biggest disappointments.
I’ve got to say that for me, Blair Witch was the biggest letdown. I had followed the web site for a while, and the movie just did not live up to the hype.
Also, the Astronaut’s Wife should have been a lot better than it was. It had a great premise and deserved a much better plot.
So, what does everybody else think???

Any magician can pull a rabbit out of a hat, show me one who can pull a hat out of a rabbit and I’ll believe.

My problem is, I’ve only got 2 movies that I’ve seen this year in theatres that I didn’t list on the other thread: Phantom Menace and Blair Witch and neither one is a movie I would put in for a “Worst Movie” title. If I had to choose, Jar Jar Binks would tip the scale. :wink:

“It’s bacon!!”

I hate that this is the case, but Star Wars: The Phantom Menace wins this race by several laps for me. It had some of the most canned dialogue I have ever heard in a movie. Nothing like a little kid saying “Yippee!” and “I hear Mr. Yoda talking about midichlorians. And, I was wondering: What are midichlorians?” to make me think I’m watching a bad educational science film…

I need a lot of wine with that cheese.

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

For me, I’d say the biggest disappointment would have to be Wild Wild West. Starred proven actors Will Smith, Kevin Kline, and Kennth Branaugh. Successful TV series. Good special effects. I had honestly expected WWW to take the box office crown away from TPM, until I had actually seen it. It just goes to show you that ultimately a movie must have good direction and a great script. Nothing else really matters.

The hip-hopification of Wild Wild West is what spoiled it. Will Smith looks nothing like Robert Conrad.
The worst movie of the summer (if not the year or the decade or century) was The Blair Witch Project. Pee-Yew!

I tend to have a good filter for bad movies (skipped Armageddon last summer, Wild Wild West this summer), but somehow, Lake Placid made it under my radar (must’ve been Bridget Fonda).

It was a really really bad TV movie.

Good damn Armageddon bashers, I loved that movie, and am going to stand behind it.

My worst movie was Eyes Wide Shut, it the worst one I saw, but not the worst of the year I’m sure. It was a huge let down, but I didn’t feel upset about seeing it. My bullhit filter is pretty good, never had the slimmest desie to see WWW or any of the other bad “blockbusters”. It seems like with SW:TPM no other production companies even tried to come out with anything good. On the whole this has been the worst movie year ever.

I think it was the overhype that killed the phantom menace

One of the best quotes I heard was

“The only way Phantom Menace is going to live up to the hype is if Jesus walks off the screen and up to the lobby to get a popcorn and coke.”

Great quote.

Laura, although I really enjoyed SW:TPM despite its flaws, it’s funny you mention that line from Anakin. I expected the next thing I heard to be, “I can answer that, Anakin. Hi! I’m Troy McClure. You may remember me from such Jedi training films as Lightsabers: They Aren’t Just Pointy Flasghlights and What’s With This Dark Side, Anyway?

Dammit, Phil, you owe me a new monitor now!

“It’s bacon!!”

The worst movie, by far, was The Mummy. The worst acting I’ve ever seen in my life.

If you didn’t like Eyes Wide Shut or Blair Witch, you didn’t understand it.

I don’t know who first said “everyone’s a critic,” but I think it’s a really stupid saying.

I understood Blair Witch perfectly. Cha-ching …

LOL! What’s funny Phil is I was thinking the same thing–well, I was thinking Troy McClure responding. You came up with the funny stuff. :wink:

My b/f still likes the movie despite the canned dialogue 'cause it looks cool and has cool shiny machines in it. I like those too, but can NOT get past the lame-o lines. (The Federation people were the WORST!)

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

Wow…tough crowd.

Phantom menance? Eyes Wide Shut? The Mummy? Wild Wild West?

Goodness…I guess none of you had the pleasure of seeing the Haunting, or Universal Soldier:the Return.

Both of these movies were utter crap, far outstripping any other crappy movie of the summer. Except maybe EWS. That was crap AND pretensious.

Overall, I nominate The Haunting for the Golden Turd award. Plenty of hype, no redeeming qualities. A true shitburger.

At least I KNEW Universal Soldier was gonna suck (I had a faint hope it would be as “good” as the origonal).

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

WWW - complete CRAP. i saw it for free :slight_smile:

lake placid - wow, how did this make it??

univeral soldier - one question, why?!??!!??!?

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

you know, there’s a weird line here…what would you refuse to PAY to see, but what wouold you REFUSE to pay to see…I remember when I worked for a theater I saw a lot of things I normaly wouldn’t have paid to see but really enjoyed (such as “Tucker:A Man and his Dream”) but I also saw a lot of stuff that I knew was going to be crap (anything with Charlie Sheen!) I think voting for the worst should be limited to what you actually PAID for.

obviously, that should be: “What would you refuse to pay to see, but what would you see for FREE.” I promise not to drink and post again!

Quote:

univeral soldier - one question, why?!??!!??!?
Ummmmm…
errrrrr…
because I wanted to top all the other posters in this thread. Yeah, that’s it. That’l help me sleep better. Now if excuse me, I gotta go BBQ some loose cash I got in my pocket.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

I’ll second “The Mummy”. The woman playing the lead part was awful - complete over-the-top acting.

I’m sure this one is out of the competition time-wise, but I rented “Meet Joe Black” last week - actually, my girlfirend insisted. Hey, I wanted to rent “Urban Legend”, but I had already promised her it was her call this time. Two things can be learnt from this:

1. It’s never her call. You’ll end up watching Steel Magnolias and The First Wives Club for the rest of your life;
  2. Meet Joe Black is definitely in my top 5 of worst movies ever made.

Anthony, Anthony… what the HELL were you thinking.

I’ll go and rent Urban Legend tonight then - g/f’s busy anyways :slight_smile:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)