What is the best season of Futurama to Purchase?

I never watched Futurama during it’s run but I have caught a few episodes on cable and really enjoyed them. Since the show has a high reputation here on the board, this is a good place to ask for some recommendations. I am now familiar with the characters and concept and would like to buy the DVD but only have the funds for one season so I would like your opinions. Which is the best season to buy, the one with the overall best episodes?

My personal favorite season, if I had to pick only one, is Season 2. It contains such gems as Fry & the Slurm Factory, A Head In the Polls, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back, and The Problem with Popplers. While everyone has their personal favorite episodes, these four are almost guaranteed to be on all top 10 lists.

I do want to point out that there aren’t any bad seasons. From episode one all the way to the finish, the series does not dip in quality, so really you can’t lose no matter which season you get. Oh, and I’m sure you’re going to get a ton of posts telling you to get them all, which I heartily recommend.

Glermo: You’ll have all the Slurm you can drink when you’re partying with Slurms McKenzie!
Fry: When will that be?
Glermo: Soon enough.
Fry: That’s not soon enough!

Agree with Capt. C on this one. Season 2 – if you could only pick one.

Although “Problem with Popplers” was in Season 1 according to Wiki. Season 2 has “War is the H-Word”, though.

Edit: Man… Season 3 has “Godfellas” on it though and I’d almost go with S3 based on that episode alone. Tough call!

Another vote for season 2. Season 3 is a good choice as well. Season 4 while still good, I would rank it below 2 and 3. As with many series, the first half of season 1 is kind of weak as the writers are trying to find the voice of the characters but picks up steam after that point.

Season 2 gave us “Sweet Zombie Jesus!” but Season 3 also has Amazon Women in the Mood, Roswell That Ends Well, and The Day the Earth Stood Stupid. That’s a really strong group of episodes and I think it’s enough to just barely put it over the top. Season 1 is only 13 episodes, by the way. The others have around 20 each (19, 22, and 18), so unless season 1 costs less, the other years are a better deal.

Season 4 does have Jurassic bark and The Farnsworth Parabox. I dare you not to cry at Jurrasic Bark.

Fry and the Slurm Factory was in Volume 1. The DVD “volumes” do not match up precisely with the broadcast “seasons.”

Much as I love most of the later episodes, and as much as they build up a coherent mythos for the entire series, I’d say that for pure laughs, buy Volume 1. Those early episodes fire on all cylinders, every minute has little touches you’ll appreciate.

“Jurassic Bark” was great, but I’d choose “Luck of the Fryrish” over it for emotional punch.

All good.
So, buy the seaon you can get the best deal on.