What is the origin of your SDMB name?

I’m a guy and didn’t think about my nick being a girl’s name until someone in a thread assumed I was a girl. didi is based on KPop idol Park Xiyeon’s (former Pledis Girls/Pristin) nickname Ddi ddi. (pronounced like Deet Dee) because I was thinking about her when I came up the nick. 44 is another bit of silliness because in many Asian cultures, 4 sounds like the word for die and doubling the number is extra bad. Die Die! I would never use Ddi Ddi 44, but but didi44 seems okay.

We just changed boards, along with that whole, “do you want/need your name changed?” hullabaloo. That might have been a good time. . .just saying.

As for my name, well, it was inspired by a MST3K riff. At one point, Mike (I think) remarked about a particularly bland performer, “This face intentionally left blank” - which was a riff on the blank pages left at the beginning of a book. I liked this, and when I needed a name shortly thereafter, I remembered it.

Really boring: i needed a user name for something, maybe editing Wikipedia. And i couldn’t think of anything, so i asked my husband for suggestions. He suggested “PuzzleGal”, and it seemed good enough, so I’ve kept it. It’s not the only name I use on line, but I’ve used it in other places.

I’m a gal who likes puzzles.

I like puzzles too! Solid name.

Send me an email if you want it changed.
EngineerCompGeek@gmail.com

We get this kind of thread every few years, and I just scrolled through all 245 posts to see if I was already here.
Nott is the 1st part of my real name, and it’s what people at work called me. As a boy, I read dictionaries and Popular Science for fun, so my head is stuffed with useless facts and obscure words. When friends needed info or spelling, it was, “Ask Nott.” It’s also a wordplay on JFK’s famous line, which his speechwriter probably lifted from somebody else.

During Christmas break (December 2004 - January 2005), I finally decided to sign up with snopes and had some discussions with my husband, who also signed up with snopes. We had already been living in the German-speaking part of Switzerland for a number of years.

He, being an electrical engineer, took some electrical name with the masculine definitive article in German, Der.

As I am female, I decided to use the female definitive article, Die (pronounced dee, not die).

And the electrical name started with Capacitor. But because I am female, I went with the -trix ending.

So I am Die Capacitrix. In previous searches I had found another one, which was a character in a webcomic. But the character was first mentioned in the webcomic after I had registered with snopes on January 3, 2005.

I am signed up with one other message board without the Die, but I am no longer active there. Any other Capacitrix is not me.

And my avator is McCaig’s Folly from Oban, which we had visited a few years previously. I had taken the picture using black and white film which was processed using color processing (T400CN).

I’ve been going to El Famous on Clark since the mid 1980s. I still make the half hour trip to get their red salsa which is the finest eating with a chip salsa I’ve ever found. All the other locations use a different vastly inferior recipe.

In fact I think I’m going to head over there in a bit to buy some today- thanks for the reminder!

Oh and my name I got from this awesome crazy lady in Chicago.

It could have been amusing to go with “Die Lectrix”, which goes in all kinds of different direction – but it might have been too polarizing.

There would’ve been resistance.

The only problem is that I always read it as “puzz legal” and it mystified me. You really should change it to PuzzleGal. Or puzzle_gal.

This way it’s more of a puzzle.

Can i change it? I’d be okay with PuzzleGal. I was just lazy when i entered it here.

In your case, you can actually change it yourself, you don’t even need to bother ECG.

Ah, the “mangetout” phenomenon.

And lose the mystery?

Indeed. Embrace the ambiguity.

And, of course, I’m calling you Puzz le Gal from now on (in my mind, with a french accent)

My parents’ nickname for me when I was an infant.