What Is Your A.Q. (Autism Quotient)?

Hmm - my results did not surprise me: 29 for AQ and I got 26 out of 36 for the eyes test (weird test).

I did find it interesting to read the article on the test groups. I fit into the theory that scientists - particularly math-based - score higher on the AQ test than non-scientists. (Chemistry undergrad for me)

True for all you high scorers?

23/50 and likewise.

14/50 on the AQ, which is surprising, considering how generally antisocial I am. But then, a lot of my points had to do with that. And probably a degree of self-delusion (I think I can tell when I’m boring the hell out of people, but…)

31/36 on the eyes test.

Since Crab Rangoon asked, I was a geology major, and am a software developer. I can do math, but I don’t much like it.

I got 29. I liked math and was good at it but not the way people who really like math like it. I don’t know if that’s a high score. I am sort of a loner and I do find repetative things soothing. I like to stick to a tight schedule and routine to avoid anxiety and I can get pretty panicked when something messes with it, but I definitely cope okay. I can’t picture anything when I read, or if I picture things I picture the wrong things and the images are more like floaters in my field of vision that I just have to ignore. I sure can’t picture the characters’ looks. I don’t really like to chitchat, but I can. I have never even suspected myself of having anything like aspergers or autism because of the fact that I’m really good at reading social cues and adjusting to feedback and being polite. I always get jokes and can read between the lines.

I’m a grad student in physics, so works for me.

Okay, found a test that was easy to take. 14 for me (low).

My empathy quotient from this test, however, is 67 (very high).

No surprises for me here. I have actually been working on becoming less empathetic (that is, identifying less with every thing and every body), so every little thing in the world doesn’t bother me.

Using the tests in featherlou’s post, my AQ is 10 (low) and my EQ is 47 (average). No surprises for me, either.

An AQ of 14 is average according to that site, not low. :slight_smile:

9 for AQ, 33 out of 36 for eye test.

24/50 on the AQ. Huh. Sounds about right to me. Interesting link.

Oops - I didn’t remember exactly where 14 was in the standings, and I didn’t want to re-take the test to find out. I thought 14 was low; turns out I’m just average. Sigh.

AQ 16 (normal, as in couln’t be any more normal – women usually score 15, men 17); EQ 37 (low normal).

Eh.

You’re not average, just your AQ score. :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure how to point it out without seeming, I don’t know, way too picky or something, but when I reported a 10 as low (though just one point away from average) I thought it would give people a better idea of the range to clarify that 14 was average. But then, I have issues that aren’t measured by any of these tests. :wink:

20/50. I’m female, and a biology grad student. I’m not particularly subtle, diplomatic, or imaginative, but I’m not tone-deaf for people in the way that those with Asperger’s are.

I got 33/50 (for the AQ test in featherlou’s post), but I disagree with that. I think the test is biased against introverts; I mean, do I prefer a library to a party? Well, of course I do, but I don’t think that’s indicative of any dysfunction on my part, it’s just a different type of interest, one which a lot of introverts would probably share. Of course, since we’ve basically recast introversion into a mental illness I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at the test’s slant (and it’s not like this test is scientifically accurate anyway). But still, stupid extrovert researchers! I feel a Pit thread coming on in the very near future.

25/50 and 31/36.

I’m truly shocked by the 31, as I have a very difficult time looking at people’s eyes. I watch mouths, especially when people are talking, or I miss the thrust of the conversation. I read about a study once in which average folks and folks with autism were fitted with pupil trackers and watched a heated discussion between two actors in a movie. The average folks watched the eyes, and the autistic folks watched the mouths.

I have a 6 y/o boy with Autism. Its true, he focuses on mouths. I think he’s fascinated with how they move and sounds come out. I wish it was as easy as taking a test online to determine likelyhood of having autism. It isnt that easy to diagnose or live with either. We found out when he was 2 1/2 when he wouldnt respond to our calling him downstairs to eat. Very heartbreaking and sad for us as a family sometimes.

But other than that, we’re happy and coping and so is he.

In the ‘eyes’ one, I got 30/36 and husband got 29/36… but I consistently couldn’t pick when someone was flirtingand he consistently thought that the shy people were being aggressive.

Between the pair of us, we have some serious problems. :smiley:

You and me both, baby. :smiley:
It doesn’t surprise me to be average in any test; I am so damned average it isn’t even funny.

Aw, crap, forgot a point again - I was going to say, introvert and extrovert simply mean where you go to recharge, not how lively or social you are. My sister is an extreme social butterfly; you can’t shut her up in social situations, but she is an introvert because she goes home and reads a book when she runs out of energy. I am much more quiet, although still really liking people and socializing, and I am also an introvert, because socializing takes so much out of me, and I have to recharge before wading into the fray again. A true extrovert gets energy from being around people; I suspect they are not as common as people would have us believe.