What is your absolute, A#1, all time favorite song?

*Originally posted by Zenster *
The Cliffs of Dover

Good song.

My favorite is Under Pressure by David Bowie & Queen

Absolutely a toss-up:

“Jessica” by the Allmann Brothers

and

Jimmy Buffet’s cover of “Southern Cross” (and the four times I’ve gotten to experience it LIVE have moved me almost to tears)

Absolutely a toss-up:

“Jessica” by the Allmann Brothers

and

Jimmy Buffet’s cover of “Southern Cross” (and the four times I’ve gotten to experience it LIVE have moved me almost to tears)

Everlong by Foo Fighters

One by U2

Vienna, by Billy Joel.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 (1st impression)

“Atomic Dog” from George Clinton. This song is the very epitomy of funkeeee. I can smell that funk right now.

Kind of strange considering the name of the OP and the fact that I’m a lilly-white German boy.

“Stray Cat Blues” by The Rolling Stones. In fact, that entire damn album.

Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division

“No Surprises” by Radiohead.

I am no good at this kind of question. I remember about 18 years ago, a radio station my sister and I listened to on the way to work (we both worked the same schedule in the same place) was doing this thing: you would write your 3 all-time faves on a 3x5 card, send it to them, and every day at noon, they would pick three cards and play the songs listed. Well, my sister and I tried to come up with our three all time favorite songs, and eventually managed to narrow the list down to about 150. :slight_smile:

My Way -Frank Sinatra

Red - King Crimson

‘Tempted’ by Squeeze.
It’s meaning has changed as I’ve grown older.

‘Bridge over troubled water’ - Simon and Garfunkel

‘Every breath you take’ - Sting

‘Fire and rain’ - James Taylor

‘Won’t get fooled again’ - The Who

‘Fun, fun, fun’ - version by the Beach Boys + Status Quo

(And I have to thoroughly approve of the choices made by RikWriter, Zeldar and Bob55!)

OK, I know you asked for only one, so it has to be James Taylor. Ever since I read the story behind the lyrics, I shed a tear while listening to it.

I’ll have to go with “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads.

#1 To Sir With Love - LuLu
#2 Layla (Original version) - Eric Clapton
#3 Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

I actually have 2, is that ok?

Annie’s Song–John Denver
and
C’mon Eileen–Dexy’s Midnight Runners

CJ

I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while, trying to narrow it down, but its been so difficult. There’s a few, and at least one is in Hindi - sorry about that.

Firstly the Hindi one - “Accha Sila dhiya tune maine pyar ka” - “My love for you was justly rewarded”. Its an ironic title. Essentially its about a couple, and the man has an affair to test his girlfriend’s love for him. She of course is not impressed, and promptly dumps him. The song is an inter-mixing of the story from both sides, where he’s trying to tell her his reasoning, and she’s not having any of it. Its very very beautiful, and makes me cry whenever I hear it.

Sting’s Don’t Stand too Close to Me is another one I really love. I second Aerosmith’s Dream On, and also Kings and Queens.

Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody is brilliant, as is Killer Queen.

OK. I’ll stop now, otherwise I’ll be able to go on for ever.