What is your absolute favorite movie of all time?

I’m not a Tom Cruise fan but I do like The Last Samurai.

The Three Godfathers.1948 John Ford classic with John Wayne.

I’ll go with The Sound of Music for today.

The Godfather.

No waffling, no caveats.

mmm

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Top pick: Apollo 13

Runner-up: The Martian

“Stand By Me”, Rob Reiner’s perfect adaptation of the Stephen King story “The Body”, which is also one of my favorite tales. It evokes my own childhood very well.

Silence of the Lambs

Probably Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I don’t think it’s perfect; the Brody escape from the tank is kinda shitty, but if I see that on, I’m watching it. Probably also true of Raiders, which is probably the more perfect movie, but doesn’t resonate as much, I think.

Shawshank and Pulp fiction are up there too.

The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)

Back to the Future

Miller’s Crossing.

It changes, and of course my picks for “best movie” and “favorite movie” would no doubt be different, but possibly Dr. Strangelove. (Blade Runner, or Taxi Driver)

The Goonies

Mine too.

Gone with the Wind.

West Side Story. When I was in my late teens and early 20s I was obsessed by this, particularly the music.

Harold and Maude.

Star Wars. (1977) The original version --NOT The Special Edition.

Commando (1985) As one critic put it-- “The ultimate '80s Schwarzenegger movie, replete with a threadbare plot, outsized action, and endless one-liners.”

Con Air (1997) The best of big dumb fun action movies

2001: A Space Odyssey for awe. Dr. Strangelove for laughs. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for drama. The Exorcist for the heebie-jeebies. The Wizard of Oz for nostalgia.