What kind of geek are you?

Hah, I was going to do one up too, thanks for stealing my idea. …so I did anyway.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GH/MU/O d s-: a— C+++ U P+ L+ E- W++ !N !o K? w-- O? M+ V? PS++ PE Y+ PGP- t- !5 !X R !tv b+++ !DI !D G e>++++$ h r* x?
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Some clarification: I’m an Internet geek. I’m a fandom geek. I’m a linguistics geek. I dress almost like a normal person but I hate makeup. I love programming but I don’t know very much about it, I just took a couple years of high school CS and so now I can make games in Java. I love sci fi.

Boy, the Geek Code needs some updating. Oh well.

Version: 3.1
GCS d-@ s+:(+) a C++(+++)$ UBLS$ P++++(++)$ L++(+++)$ E++(+++)$ !W+++$
N++(+)@ o? K--? w++()$ !O M(+)@ !V PS+ PE++(-)@ !Y PGP t !5 !X !R tv- b+++
DI !D G(--) e h r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

I used to think that too, but I think its “stuck in 1996” characteristic is its charm, besides, this was the golden age of geekery, after that, it was cool to be a geek, and being a geek somehow wasn’t the same any more. Those that can answer this, and were around back then, are hardcore, my friend.

Version: 3.1
GAT d-(+) s++:- a C++ P+ W++(+++)>$ N o K w+@ M-@>+ PS+@ PE-@ t+ tv(-) b+
DI++++ D G+ e++>++++ h--(----) r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

I’ve never seen the Geek Code before; pretty funny! I’ll have to set up my own sig some time.

I forgot to mention that I tried cultivating and roasting my own tea. Since I was at sea level it didn’t come out very good (the fact that I had little idea what I was doing had nothing to do with it, I’m sure).

At one time I was a King Arthur geek. I read all of the seminal fiction books (even slogged through Mallory) and kept up on the Arthurian archaeological findings. I visited England and made a pilgrimage to some of the sites supposedly connected to the legend(s). Thinking back on it I don’t remember dressing up like Arthur, which I guess knocks me down a peg.

Zoology, SF literature, large/obscure words, and random trivia.

I’m an audio geek

I grew up learning to be an audiophile, and can hear the differences in speakers and amplifier combinations.
I have worked that into being a recording engineer and producer, and performer, composer and arranger, and music teacher.
I HATE what mp3 does to great recordings. It makes them brittle, compressed, and they make my teeth itch.

I also am a tea geek, but not as extreme as the OP. I like a lot of tea flavors.

David

Espresso, Tolkien (as in enthused student of his writings and subcreation, NOT fanboy), genealogy, sex.

'Nuff said.

Definitely a tea geek (find some Chamraj Orange Pekoe) and a total cotton-wearing snob. I can’t stand synthetic stuff. Eeek! It feels creepy.

I would like to attain total gardening geekdom by becoming a master gardener.

Vinyl Geek as in records made out of vinyl.

I love the smell of an LP in the morning.

I resent the question. Nerds and propellerheads should not be called “geek”. Only Gatopescado is a righteous member of that fraternity.

Word game geek.

This exactly. Plus the smell of fresh espresso from my - admittedly geeky - top notch espresso machine.

Viking geek. I have fits when I see a viking helmet with horns on it. Or hearing Tony Curtis speaking in a viking movie.

Major geekdoms: World building, kimono, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Batman.
General / minor geekdoms: Languages & conlangs, comics, cartoons, classic sci-fi & fantasy, RenFaire, Quantum Leap, anime, manga
Past geekdoms: Star Wars, Star Trek, X-men, Pokemon, Digimon

If you live in the Northeast and your vinyl addiction includes '78’s, there may be an opportunity to get some access to some very old vinyl through a Doper I know. PM me if you are interested - this is not my connection, so I don’t want to promise anything…

As for my geekery - well, I am a geek in general, if by “geek” we mean someone who revels in detailed specifics in general areas of interest.

But if I had to nail it down:

• Guitars and Music in general
  • Books, reading, rare books and First Editions
  • Pop Culture
  • General knowledge, with specific interests in philosophy, physics and hard sciences

I am sure there is more, but I hope you get the idea…

Yeah, I don’t know who these geeks are who geek out on only one thing, but I don’t think I’ve met any. As for myself, I have what I whimsically regard as the “collector gene”. I have an inexplicable desire to accumulate related items. If my wife left me I’d probably end up one of these people who can’t get out of his house because of the huge stacks of cloth maps from old video games. Among my interests:

Golden Age Rock ('46-'64) and R&B
Folk music including Sea Shanties, Cowboy Songs, Border Ballads, Drinking Songs, ect.
Language in general, English and Latin in particular, including a fair collection of Slang dictionaries and IPA refrigerator magnets
Tabletop and Computer Roleplaying Games
The Metric System
Film Noir and Hardboiled Fiction
Criminal Biographies (thieves, not murderers or rapists)
Skepticism (I keep up with the latest news in shit not to believe)
Computer building and maintenance
Dress hats
Et cētera… I’m leaving off a bunch of stuff I don’t actively pursue currently, but still occasionally gather materials for, such as yo-yos, juggling, magic tricks, etc.

Star Trek Geek

Supernatural Geek

Bounty/Bountiana/Mutiny Geek (and of pretty much anything involving tall ships)

I used to be much more geeky - D&D, anime, fanfiction, computer games, fantasy novels. Nowadays I’m not hardcore enough to call myself a geek about anything, really. I still play games and read fantasy novels, anyway.

Emacs geek.

Over time, I’ve come to realize I probably know more about Emacs than the majority of my office (and we’re all Unix users). I pride myself on how seldom I have to touch my mouse. :wink:

Recently, we’ve acquired a new worker who’s a big supporter of VI. This cannot end well.

I remember the Geek Code. Didn’t know it was still around.

I’m not hardcore enough about much of anything these days to really be considered a geek. I probably could still pass as a computer geek, but I haven’t really paid any attention to what is considered bleeding-edge for the past couple of years, so I’ve been out of the loop for a relative eternity. Maybe an aviation, or motorcycle geek?

Does it make me a rock geek because I noticed the “rock geek” type is playing the wrong guitar? He’s clearly dressed as Angus Young, but is playing a Flying V. Young is famous for playing SG’s. Someday I may become a guitar geek, but I’ve only been playing a couple of years so I still have a long way to go.