What literary characters have you fallen in love with?

I would have to say the great love of my life is Augustus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove. Perhaps I project myself too much into the character of Clara, because I wonder if we would be able to tolerate one another as lifelong mates. Or would I rather, like Lorie, worship him for his heroic rescue should I be captured by an outlaw?

Sigh. Besides all that his humor, talkativeness, skill and bravery – combined with my recent fetish for fiesty older gentlemen – make Gus one of the few fictional characters I’ve fallen for head-over-heels.

Jame Talissen, from P.C. Hodgell’s Kencyrath novels (Godstalk, Dark of the Moon, and Seeker’s Mask. Her sense of humor hooked me–it’s much like mine: dark, wry, and occasionally even macabre. Add stunning competence and a mysterious past, and I’m landed. Of course, the last couple of guys who fell for her are dead or worse…I did mention that she’s the unwilling avatar of the god of destruction, didn’t I? :slight_smile:

Jamie Fraser from Outlander…he’s tall, he’s strong, he’s a redhead, he’s honest with his heart and feelings, and he’s got a brogue…what more do you need?

Ah yes, drooling Jamie Fraser.

Claude Frollo

I’ve probably mentioned it before, but I’ll do so again. He simply has to be among the best literary characters like…ever. He’s certainly not the best person in the world, but he’s not a cardboard black/white cutout and nor is he dull. He is wondefully intelligent, knowledgable, dedicated, multi-layered and PASSIONATE. Sure, his obsessiveness destroyed him and nearly everyone around him, but that doesn’t make him less of a very powerful and strong character, even when he does act rather pathetic sometimes. :smiley:

Catherine from “Wuthering Heights”.
Mavis/ Miss Mao/ Stella/ Eris from “Illuminatus! Trilogy”. Yum!
I seem to remember having a thing for the girl from “girl”, too, back in the day. Dunno that it would still apply today, though.

Susan Sto Helit (“Susan Death”) from the Discworld novels.

Viola from Twelfth Night.

Ummmmm, pardon my gaping ignorance, but who is **Claude Frollo? ** or what book is he from?
For me, I was 12. **Outsiders ** I fell in love with the oldest brother *Darry * because of how hard he had to work to keep things together.

Francis Crawford of Lymond

Vanyel Ashkevron of The Last Herald-Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

Gorgeous, powerful, humble, and…GAY! The first sci-fi/fantasy book I’ve ever read with a gay protagonist…I was overwhelmed and seriously crushing on him.

jayjay

Why, that would be Dejah Thoris; heroine of the E.R. Burroughs Mars Series.:smiley: Burroughs’s descriptions of her made an impression on my then eight year-old mind that has never dimmed, never faded. First Love dies hard!

Hamlet, definitely. And Henry V, though that’s mostly due to Kenneth Branagh’s influence.

And Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Swoon.

King Mongkut from the Novelization of Anna and the King
meeeeeeeooowwwww :wink:

Mavra Chang from the original Well of Souls books. She’s smart, courageous,& beautiful. The Killer fingernails or the whip only add to the fun.

Stu Redman, from Stephen King’s The Stand.
Sheri

I’m a sucker for Jane Austen novels. I’ve fallen for Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice ) and Mr. Knightly (Emma ).

Heinlein’s Lazarus Long, a strong man who really appreicates smart women. And he’s a redhead, too!

Benedict and Julian from Zelazny’s Amber Chronicles.

Thirdhand quote from a Russian Lit professor: “War and Peace is not about war and it’s not about peace. It’s about falling in love with Natasha.”

I have to agree with that professor. If you are a heterosexual male, then by the time you finish the book, you will be in love with Natasha. You do not have a choice in the matter. Tolstoy pushes all of your buttons.

I’ll second this one. He’s brilliant, witty, articulate, and handsome. Sounds like a good combination to me. Of course in real life the fact that he’s good at absolutely everthing might be tad intimidating but that’s irrelevant.