I am a cancer survivor but still count the days/months/years between checkups because cancer (my type) is never cured but can go into remission.
I bought my first pair of steel-toed boots at the age of forty to load and unload airplanes.
I was a flight attendant going in and out of Vietnam in the Sixties.
My first degree was in Journalism in the Sixties, the second in Information Systems Management in the Eighties.
I met my former husband, a Peace Corps volunteer, in the Philippines, at the Clark AFB hospital where I was confined with what turned out to be Toxic Shock Syndrome.
I lived in King’s Lynn, England, and Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, each for a year as a Software Documentation Specialist for a major US firm. This was in the late Nineties.
My long-haired blue-eyed snow-white cat was polydactal but not deaf.
My paternal grandparents were Irish immigrants to Canada where they eventually taught at and ran an Indian reservation school in British Columbia around Chilliwack. My grandpa was 20; my grandma was 17. My grandma was a County Nurse. I shudder. They were good people.
I was accepted as a student at the Sorbonne at age 19 but never followed through.
I was raised Catholic and went through twelve years of Catholic schools but lost my faith at somewhere around age fifteen. It took me about 5-6 years to get over it. I’ve never looked back.
I’ve been married and divorced twice and learned nothing from either experience. Marriage number one lasted ten years but was over at year seven. There was a seventeen year gap before marriage numbers one and two, the second of which lasted eighteen months. There will never be a marriage number three. Evidently I’m not good at this stuff.
My daughter, my only child, loves me.