What’s Your Browser’s Home Page?

Home: The Drudge Report

Office: Company Intranet (no choice)

D’oh. :smack:

I use the speed dial feature.

And, frankly, setting the home page isn’t important to most people in the slightest, which is why you always find their computer is set for the home page that that was there in the first place.

I’d say that a majority of people whose browsers come up on the complicated, messy, slow-loading and ad-ridden portal page that was set by default do it that way because they don’t know they can change it.

ETA: Or assume it’s just too hard and technical and stuff, and so spend years waiting for the page to load before clicking over to the same starting page they always go to.

Ugh…you just described msn.com.

iGoogle is going away in November, which is a bummer for those who use it. uStart.org is an alternative to iGoogle.

So, in one view, my home page, has RSS feeds for CNN, Washington Post, ESPN, Economist, USA Today, Reuters, WSJ, Forbes, ABC News, NY Times, BBC, and NPR.

It also has a box for links so with one click I can get to my Yahoo and Gmail, Wikipedia, Facebook, ebay, Weather, and The Straight Dope.

It’s all laid out in Tiles so it’s easy to read, and has about 10 links per tile to each bit of news or article. Those who used to use iGoogle will be familiar with the view.

It’s easy to read, visually attractive, customizable, and uncluttered, in spite of the amount of information that’s right in front of you.

I’m happy with it.

Long answer: For personal stuff I use Chrome so if I start a blank page/tab it just brings up a page with a bunch of recently or most visited sites. When working I use Firefox with TabGroups manager extension, that loads 4 tabs, each with a bunch of subtabs. Whatever pages are loaded in the various tabs when I close the browser are saved and then loaded again the next time I start Firefox.

Short answer: If I hit the home button, Google. But that rarely happens.

Google.com, because it loads quickly.

Google.com. I even convinced my non-tech-savvy Mom to use Google.com, and now she loves it (but not as much as she loves the Favorites bar I set up for her).

At work it’s my department home page; since I manage the page, that is my work.

Google.

“firing up your browser” assumes the browser is ever turned off. Mine is up all the time.

My home page is set to iGoogle, but I never actually see it. I use Chrome, and have it set to “Continue where I left off”, so it reopens all the tabs I had open when I closed it.

15 in Firefox at the moment, but it only reloads the one I was last in, generally Gmail, when I start it up. So often some of them don’t get refreshed at all.

Inertia has permanently set my home page to Welcome to SeaMonkey.

Igoogle, and I’ll be sad to see it gone.

Ynet.co.il, a local Israeli new site. Since I always check the news whenever I sit down in front of the computer, I might as well make it my homepage.

I have four permanent tabs: gmail, twitter, bitly, and FB. Whichever one was open last will be on top when I open FF. I don’t leave a tab open to the SDMB because I check email, etc., before getting here, and the “last unread” function here can be a little wonky: I don’t want it thinking I’ve looked at the boards when I haven’t.

And then I have 20 or so of the sites I commonly visit (including SDMB) on the bookmark toolbar just above the tabs.

www. bignaturals.com

Isn’t everyone’s?