What song actually makes you shout NO! and change the station?

‘Turn the Page’ by Bob Seger.

Lots of other good choices on this thread thus far.

I have my own personal “Bob Seger rule”. Doesn’t matter what song: it goes away.

I see BrickBat isn’t a big fan either.

So I listened to it. Yes, it’s much more restrained and subtle than Whitney’s version, and it has a pedal steel guitar which is always a good thing (it also has the dreaded country ballad spoken word part, which I mostly find corny). All in all not appalling, but it’s been so spoiled for me by the Whitney version that it’ll never become one of my favorite songs.

Any overly sentimental song. Cat’s in the Cradle and Leader of the Band are at the top of the list.

Yeah ( chuckles ) come to think of it, I pretty much have no use for any Bob Seger tune.

You can’t imagine the hell I’ve caught for it by some indignant midwesterners.

Jingoistic crap like Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the U.S.A” won’t get past the first line if I have anything to say about it.

Any song by Lynyrd Skynyrd gets turned off immediately, but Free Bird gets a “hell no” uttered as I change the station. Same for Bob Seger, with “Ah, hell no” added to Turn the Page, Like a Rock, and Against the Wind.

Love Shack. Just no.

Damn, you beat me to it. I came here to say Muskrat Love myself.

That’s OK, I’ll see your Muskcat Love and raise you a You Light Up My Life.

Anything by Pink Floyd.

Well, except songs from their first album. But those are never played on the radio.

Anything by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

Horse With No Name

Tin Man

Woman (by John Lennon)

Midnight at the Oasis

Lovin’ You (Minnie Ripperton makes my ears bleed)

But I mostly listen to the local public radio station that plays classical, so I don’t have to worry about switching stations.

The first notes of the Kars4Kids commercial is the only one that gets a verbal “OH HELL NO!” shout from me. Startled my then-teen son in the car the first time he was with me when it happened, probably because that time the verbiage was an involuntary “FUCK THAT SHIT!”

When I was a junior in high school, I realized two things: (1) Stairway to Heaven is a great song and (2) I never, ever need to hear it again. In the subsequent 30 years, the number of times I’ve listened to it all the way through is in the single digits.

Money by Pink Floyd. In fact, 90% of their songs get changed immediately.

Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama, by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Start Me Up, by the Rolling Stones.

Time Has Come Today, by the Chambers Brothers. It’s just creepy, with the vocalists shouting “Time!” at various intervals. It may be a landmark of psychedelic rock, an influence on later music, and so on and so on, but it gets me switching the station every time.

@BrickBat @Snowboarder_Bo

You Bob Seger bashers, it’s ok, I get it. But are you including on your no-play list some of his early rockin’ stuff?

Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man, 2+2=?, Lucifer, Evil Edna, and Song To Rufus?

Maybe you are familiar, but just in case you are not, please dip your toe in a bit deeper.

mmm

ETA: Not that they play any of these on the radio 'cept RGM

I agree, but I think that should fall under “songs that make me throw up in my mouth”, rather than shout NO! and change the station.

I knew I’d reached emotional maturity when I stopped being embarrassed about listening to Air Supply, Little River Band, and “Afternoon Delight”. Also ABBA - “Fernando” is a great song. Gerry Rafferty and Gilbert O’Sullivan, too. I like 70’s cheese.

I’ll usually skip over anything by the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, but the only song that elicits the “Turn that goddamn shit OFF, RIGHT NOW!” is the previously mentioned “God Bless The U.S.A”, a song that actually makes me hate America, a little bit.

Anything by Canned Heat due to that guy’s vocals — worst in the universe! I’d rather listen to Freebird and I HATE Freebird.

Can’t recall the last time I listened to the radio, but one especially loathed song for sure that is an instant turn the channel (or turn it off) is “Nights in White Satin.”

Other than that awful monstrosity called American Pie I don’t rush to change the station.